Barthmobile Portal
Construction Project

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/311105032

01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Richard & Lee
Construction Project
Hi,

I have an 84 Euro Glassnose with an overhead pull down bunk. I am planning to use it for a project. What is the construction of the bed under the vinyl, steel or wood? Would appreciate any info. Thanks
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Tommy B. Willis
I would also like to know how and where the bed mechanism attaches to the framing. I have a gaucho bed from another SOB that I would like to install in ours.

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis
01-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Bill N.Y.
I can't answer directly to the EURO but I'll tell you about my overhead bed installation.

My coach has a frame that surrounds the side windows. This frame connects to the structure for the roofline bend with vertical supports (see picture below with red lines drawn in). I cut up 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood and made a mounting plate to sandwich between my bed frame brackets and my aluminum vertical supports.

I then mounted all of this above each window.

~ 3/4 plywood first securely mounted to every vertical post with lag bolts and oversized and thick fender washers.
~ Bed support brackets over the wood mounted with large/fat screws in all of the holes. This covered up my lag bolts.
~ Each area where a vertical support was present, and a hole lined up in the frame of the bed support brackets, I used an additional lag bolt in the hole and a small washer.

You'll notice the pencil marks. This is where my vertical supports are located. I also have an additional vertical support where the break is in the wall material. I was able to grab 3 vertical supports for each side. Also, where each piece of plywood is mounted, I cut the wall material out to make sure my plywood had no give with being mounted through the wall material.

Once I had the frame securely mounted I then worked on making a platform for the mattress. For this I used 1" square aluminum. I made a frame out of this material and sandwiched a piece of Dry Eraser board to the bottom and luan to the top. This now supports a regular twin size mattress.

I used a piece of aluminum carpet runner to give a clean edge and made up a front and back piece of wood that was wrapped in vinyl. I also installed grab handles on the ceiling.

Once I painted the walls and trimmed out the bed support frame it looks a lot nicer.

Additional notes: On my coach, looking from the outside, everyplace there is a vertical support behind the wall, you'll see rivets on the outside of the coach. My bed support brackets came out of an Allegro from a salvage yard.

Going by memory, this is what the frame looked like around the passengers front side. I had my interior wall off and I also had this window out.

Here is a good interior shot of a roof line and vertical/horizontal supports. Notice that some of the vertical supports are doubled up?

Here are some additional images Lee sent me of his Barth Coach with a bed frame over the cockpit area.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
01-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Tommy B. Willis
Thanks Bill and Lee, those pictures are going to be very helpful when I get around to project #101 (gaucho bed).

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis