Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fan/Vent Covers - Factory Installed
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fan/Vent Covers - Factory Installed
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
The PO of my coach had installed a MaxxAir fan over the factory Fantastic Fan (even he wasn't sure why he had done it). I finally got around to removing it today.

I removed the mounting nuts to find that 3 of the 4 brackets were no longer attached to the coach. Instead of mounting the brackets to the sides of the opening, Barth had riveted them to the horizontal Fantastic external flange, and the rivets had corroded.

If you have a factory-installed Fantastic with a cover, I suggest inspecting the mounting brackets.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello! We've got a '77 Barth with front & rear roof vents with fans... our problem is that we need to replace the covers and have no luck finding compatible replacements. Really do not want to replace the entire fan unit if we don't have to! Existing fan covers have TWO crank-style lifters that raise the cover (one on each side). All of the replacement covers we have found only lift on one side?!? Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you!!

Posts: 2 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Member Since: 03-19-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Check vintagetrailersupply.com. They have lexan covers that I think will work. Not cheep. May want to consider new units.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Try campingworld.com . put fan lid or vent lid in the search . i was just looking for some fan covers (lids) & they have a few different ones on there website . hope this helps you out . Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the suggestions... I'll check them out now! Your help is very much appreciated!

Posts: 2 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Member Since: 03-19-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got new vent covers installed on the kitchen and bedroom Fantastics. A couple of observations:

- The kitchen vent was always accumulating pine needles (not surprising, as the Barth is parked under several pines). The cover for this vent was seriously deteriorated, but I hadn't had it off for many years, The plan was to put weatherstripping on the new cover, to keep the pine needles out. What I found was several handfuls of needles trapped around the fan's flange - most damp and decomposing. The reason appears to be that a PO had put gaskets around the cover! So I got rid of that and didn't replace it with new.

- The BR cover was a replacement for the massive MaxxAir fan that supplemented the Fantastic. Because the old brackets' fasteners had deteriorated, I had to install new ones. The instructions were to use #6 screws and nuts to secure them to the exterior flange. However, upom drilling the hols, I saw that they aligned with the horizontal top plate, so there was no room for a nut; these got pop riveted. Since they're off the roof and out of standing moisture, I suspect these will last a long time. Further, they're subject to shear rather than tension loads.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post