Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Small-block vs. Big-block
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Small-block vs. Big-block
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted
I have no intention of re-igniting the mouse versus rat war here, but my wife and I are seeking a 1974-1989 20'-23' shorty Barth Coach and notice that both 350's and 454's (and even a few SBC 400's)were offered. I have much more experience with the SBC, but have concerns about a stock 350 having enough torque to get up to highway speeds without being run over. The most I would ever tow is a motorcycle trailer, but what about hills/mountains? If one were to install a Gear Vendors OD unit to reduce cruise RPM, would the stock 350 be able to push one of these bricks 70-75 MPH, typical highway speeds out here in the West?
I am well aware of the potential to increase torque/horsepower of the SBC with intake, heads, headers, cam, etc. but would prefer to only go there in the event that an engine needs replacement rather than piecemeal, given the accessibility of the engine bay.
Would I be better served in the long run to just look for a coach with a 454 for the torque advantage, realizing that the same performance enhancements could also apply, albeit at a proportionately higher cost to the BBC?
I have my own prejudice for the SBC in street cars, but don't have experience with herding one of these 10,000# buses around the country. I certainly intend to do so, being newly retired myself and tired of supporting the hotel/motel industry of this country.

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Personally, there is no substitute for cubic inches. Really it's about torque. The SBC will pull the small toasters fine but the 454 has power left for hills and a toad. Tooling Along

If they are available for similar cost I'd go with the 454. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If you are looking to run 75mph I would go with the BB. Having owned a 22' for many years with a 350 I always felt I had plenty of power, but to have that power I was running 4.56 gear. Lots of RPM, more noise.

The SB might get you a bit more mpg. Being that you can't order what you want I would not let that be my deal breaker if I found the small coach that I liked. Finding a well cared for coach is much more important than the SB-BB issue.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
If you are looking to run 75mph I would go with the BB. Having owned a 22' for many years with a 350 I always felt I had plenty of power, but to have that power I was running 4.56 gear. Lots of RPM, more noise.

I think my 30 footer BB has 4.88 gears.

quote:
Being that you can't order what you want I would not let that be my deal breaker if I found the small coach that I liked. Finding a well cared for coach is much more important than the SB-BB issue.

Totally agree with that. I had a 350 in a Camper Special pickup, and it dragged a 27 ft fiver all over. Up some pretty steep grades, too. It was really strong, but was early '70s. Pre smog, pre unleaded, etc.

Since you like SBs, there is always the crate HT383. You can duplicate it pretty well yourself with a 400 crank kit in the 350 and a good cam and manifold, Thorleys, etc.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Steve

I have the 21' Barth project you seek. ROTFLMAO

Seriously, The 350 floored can push the 21' to 75 mph. I don't believe overdrive would benefit this combination.

The 454 with an overdrive and fuel injection can easily cruise at 75.
Ours got 9.5 mpg on a 3500 mile trip this past summer.

That said, my small block with headers and 4 barrel carb sure bring fond memories of the novas I hade as a youth.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted Hide Post
It appears the consensus so far is to find the coach we like and not worry so much about the SBC vs. BBC issue. I realize the power potential of the SBC, especially when stroked and with the right combination of heads, intake, cam, headers and exhaust. My first concern was if the STOCK 350 engine is up to the task until (or if) it goes lame. Pushing around a bus is hard work on any engine, smaller ones must work that much harder.

Steve

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I had 160,000+ on my 350 when I got rid of it, It was well maintained. Never had heads off. Still ran strong. That was on a 1975 SOB.

Bill, My 31' non tag runs 4.56, but that on 19.5s not 16.5s wheels. With your tag I could see 4.88 gear. I run just about 3000 rpm at 60 mph.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:

Bill, My 31' non tag runs 4.56, but that on 19.5s not 16.5s wheels. With your tag I could see 4.88 gear. I run just about 3000 rpm at 60 mph.

I may have been wrong on that. I think it is a 4.56 like yours. My tach reads like yours.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustyjeeper:
I don't believe overdrive would benefit this combination.

A 350 would benefit greatly from the extra ratios available if you climb much. Particularly 2nd overdrive. Even 1st overdrive on really steep climbs.

A flatlander would not find the OD worth the money.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve, what do you think about the 22', FRED listed in Barth Sightings?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
My 75' 20 footer has a SB in it. And does just fine. I cruised over I-90 pass over the cascade mtns (western Washington to eastern Washington) last summer with no power issues at all. Now I did cruise at around 55-60 but just because I was in no hurry and trying to be as light on the gas pedal as I could. But when I wanted to pass a semi going slower I just gave it a little gas and up to 70+ we went.
Also I just towed my uncles 16ft fiberglass boat 150 miles each way to go fishing and never had any power issues. This is the uncle i bought it from and he did same trip with his boat fairly often.
My engine is completely stock. I think grandpa did a rebuild on it around 100,000 miles.

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post