Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Any Honda EU2000i Portable Gen users out there?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Any Honda EU2000i Portable Gen users out there?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We enjoy dry camping in the desert but I hate running my noisey built-in generator..I'm considering the purchase of a small, quiet, 2000W Honda generator but would like to hear from those of you that have experience or knowledge of it's capability. Will it run (1) roof AC unit and (1) 27" LCD Flat Screen TV..? Here's some of the generator specs Smiler....
Specifications:
Engine: Honda 2.5HP (98.5 cc) Single Cylinder, Overhead Cam, air-cooled
AC output: 120V 2000W. (2.0 kVA) max. (16.6A), 1600W (1.6kVA) rated (13.3A).
Rated Frequency: 60 Hz (cycles)
Receptacles: (15A 125V** DUPLEX) "2 household type receptacles"
DC output: 12V, 96W (8.0A) For charging 12V batteries
Starting system: Recoil
Fuel tank capacity: 1.0 gallon gasoline
Operational capacity on one tankful: Approx. 4 - 15 hrs. depending on load.
Dimensions (LxWxH): 20" x 11.4" x 16.7"
Noise Level: 53dB(A) (No Load) - 59dB(A) (Rated Load) @ 7 Meters
Dry weight: 46.3 lbs.
Shipping Weight:
Oil Type: 10W-30
Fuel Type: 89 Octane unleaded gasoline
Cooling System: Forced Air
Max. Engine Speed: 3,600 RPM

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
There is a tool called a Kill A Watt, it is only about twenty bucks.

Here is a link.

http://www.supermediastore.com/kilwateldet1.html?WT.mc_...m1y4UCFRv7SAodZHgzrw

Use this tool to see how many AMPs the air and other goodies pull. The Microware can be a real power hog, when it is on the air may have to be off. We don't have a T.V. so let me know how much it pulls, T.V. might be fun; DVDs and the like.

Honda says 13 amps all the time is OK, if I read their stuff correctly.

We have this generator on my friend's boat in Baja. We have the pull start set up.

It starts with little effort.

It has lasted a year.

Once we got the solar power running we don't use it often anymore. Solar to run the air is, well nuts; a generator is rational, this said I wish to use solar to run my air when the sun is out, this is just a plan. We don't have air on the boat. If we are going to run the microwave for a while we run it off the generator, the microwave will pull the batteries down real quickly.

The Honda 2k model is easy to lift, well at least I have not blown my back yet. It does take two of us to get it on deck, it lives below but we only run it on deck. If the weather is not too bad it stays on deck a fair amount and stll looks good, inside and out.

In the silent country side the noise is there, we have taken to moving it out on the bow sprit and using a sail in a bag as a sound baffle; this works well. We can keep the CDs volume down and still hear all the stuff that makes orchestral music nice. I think a long heavy power cord so it could live behind a near by rock might be nice for the Barth.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will it run (1) roof AC unit and... (

You only have 16 amps available; at 120v the AC may pull that or more; as above, find out how many amps the AC pulls. The TV probably pulls about 2 amps but a dvd player or other accessory may bump it way up.
Thought: in the desert, will the high ambient temperature cause the air-cooled gen to overheat??

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Larry and Heidi:

I work in Orange, on Batavia off of Katella. If you want to borrow my kill a watt meter, I'll bring it to the office and you can use it for a few days.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim for your offer! As it turns out my brother in law has a Honda 2000 EU2000i so I borrowed it over the weekend. After allowing the generator to run for 5 minutes, I turned on the roof AC unit and set it to "low". After a few minutes the condensor kicked in and the generator almost stalled....this caused the AC unit to go into a "low power" state and "restart".. I let the test continue, but the AC unit continued to restart and never reached the cooling cycle. (Voltage drops from 125VAC to 95VAC) Frowner So unless you guys have a clever way of avoiding the power surge the AC unit demands, this generator lacks the power needed.

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that Honda offers a paralleling cable (not a male-to-male cord)that can be used to link two of these generators together, doubling the capacity to 4,000 watts peak. Of course, that requires doubling your investment as well.

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of those 2000s. Prolly gonna buy one someday.

SOME 2000s will run SOME of the 13.5 ACs SOME of the time at SOME altitudes and SOME temperatures. You can play with starting capacitors and hard start kits, but you will always be on the edge. Forget about higher altitudes. High temps make things harder, too.

I use and recommend the Kill A Watt, but it is not useful for instantaneous peak current readings, such as compressor startup. An old analog clamp-on meter is better, but still not as good as a scope and a shunt. Smiler But real world testing is what tells the tale.

For summer desert sleeping, we use the rear TurboMaxx to pull in cold roof air, and a suspended Endless Breeze to blow it into the bedroom. If it is dry, we use a Swampy.

This has worked pretty well, but last weekend, we were above a hunnert and muggy.

Soooooo........ we are thinking of a Coleman Polar Cub to replace the 13.5 AC in the bedroom. On our last safari to CW, the ninny there informed me that the 2000 would not run the Polar Cub. There are at least three models, but I know of a fellow who has successfully used the 9201B with a Honda 2000 in econo mode up to 7000 ft & in non-econo mode up to 9500 ft. We rarely camp higher than that, anyway. It starts at 11 or 12 amps, so there is a decent margin under the 2000s 16-18 amp nominal capability. Honda doesn't state their peak surge current capability, but I suspect it is pretty high. I am annoyed that I didn't do further testing while still working, as we had several of them and a full avionics instrument test lab. Now all this darned airport security has kept me away from all the test gear. I don't miss working, but I miss the shop. End of rant. The Polar Cub has two capacitors, so if you ran the fan for a little while, the compressor starting capacitor would charge fully, allowing an easier start yet. CW will even throw in a free romote, so you can adjust things without getting out of bed.

Oh yeah, the later 2000s have a little more poop than the earlier ones, so a used one might not be such a great deal. I have an EX1600 Honda which will run a Polar Cub, but I wouldn't inflict that on anyone (except Nascar fans), let alone myself.

Any roof air can be improved by using bubble foil inside the shroud and stuck to all the metal parts. A little spray adhesive will stick regular aluminum foil to the top of the shroud for good reflectivity. Last weekend, I stuck some foil on top of my hat until my wife make me remove it. Worked pretty well. When I was a lifeguard, I had foil on my pith helmet.

Honda is fudging on their db figures. Camping Life magazine did a test and got the same figures I did with my meter. Quite a bit higher than Honda's figures, but it is still a quiet gennie. DBs do not tell all the tale, either. The 2000 sounds quieter or "better" than other gennies with the same measured db readings. They have really done their homework. I have a camping friend who uses a fold-up wall of akumpukky soundboard from Lowe's set up around his 2000 for further quieting and neighbor relations. It makes a difference. Digging a hole really works, too. Did a lot of that in the Army with those old pipe-frame gennies. I always questioned the necessity of keeping our gennies quiet while big tanks rumbled around with 1790s in full bellow.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was a lifeguard, I had foil on my pith helmet.

Bill:

A great image, I can just smell the copper tone mixed with high hopes for a banner year of smaller bikinis for 1960 something. Did you use Zinc Oxide in those days?

Dave's idea of being at the state park in Santa Barbara or Ventura sure rings true for a day like today, it is just perfect at the beach. I really need to get the engine in the Barth back together in the next few weeks.

Timothy

P.S. Bill have you been out to catch any of the south swell, wow it's huge down here by work in Newport, all of us at work took a very very long lunch today.

I wonder where my fins are?

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
quote:
When I was a lifeguard, I had foil on my pith helmet.

Bill:

Did you use Zinc Oxide in those days?

Nah....... Back then, I thought I was bulletproof.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it, Bill, twice a year for the past two, I've had the dermatologist cut, burn or scrape out the result of youthful stupidity.

Then there's the ears that were too tough to worry about small arms, artillery, roaring jets, & open exhausts. What did you say?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
How about using the Honda 3000 instead of the 2000?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
How about using the Honda 3000 instead of the 2000?

It is bigger, heavier(3X), more expensive(2X), has electric start, and is quieter.

A pair of 2000s is about the same money as a 3000, has more power, and the two are easier to handle. Plus, when air conditioning is not needed, you just carry one.

posted Hide Post
Yamaha has released a new model generator. It's the Yamaha EF2400iS. Claims to power up most 13,500 BTU air conditioners. Found a place in Michigan selling them 1-269-381-5800 Ext389 $1039.00 price includes $9.99 shipping and $100 rebate (expires 7/30/06)They have 6 left. 2 year warranty and includes DC cables. No tax outside Michigan.I ordered one so I'll update everyone in a couple weeks. Roll Eyes Somebody drag me away from E-Bay....(auction ends in 8 hr,s from this posting -Item number: 300000896457

S P E C I F I C A T I O N S
TYPE BRUSHLESS, INVERTER
MAXIMUM AC OUTPUT 2400 watts
RATED AC OUTPUT 2000 watts
RATED / MAXIMUM AC CURRENT 20 / 16.7 amps @ 120V
ENGINE OHV, AIR-COOLED, FOUR-STROKE, SINGLE CYLINDER
DISPLACEMENT / HP 171cc / 5.5 hp
G E N E R A L
OVERALL LENGTH 20.7"
OVERALL WIDTH 16.5"
OVERALL HEIGHT 18.1"
DRY WEIGHT 70 lbs.
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 1.6 gallons
CONTINUOUS OPERATION AT 1/2 RATED LOAD 8.5 hrs.
NOISE LEVEL 53-58 dBA
WARRANTY 2 YEARS Limited Warranty

FEATURES

Feature Benefit
Auto-decompression system • Reduces compression for easier starting
Gasoline petcock • Helps prevent carburetor contamination during storage
Controls all on one panel • Easy access to controls
Smart Throttle™ varies engine speed based on load • Improves fuel economy
• Reduces noise
Comfortable grip handles • Easy portability and storage
Fuel gauge • Ability to gauge fuel level without opening cap
TwinTech™ capability • Hook up two EF2400iS's for 3800 watts of continuous power
Oil Watch warning system • Prevents engine damage
• Provides added peace of mind
Electrical overload breaker • Prevents generator damage in case of overload
Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved Spark Arrestor • Only 53 dBA at 1/4 load
• Eliminates errant sparks
Die-cast aluminum frame • Light weight, high strength
Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control • Can run products with built-in microcomputers or microcomputer-controlled electric tools
DC outlet • 8A 12V outlet for charging batteries
• Cables included
Rubber vibration isolation feet • Absorbing feet for increased smooth operation and noise reduction
Multipole alternator • Light, compact design
• Great power output to weight ratio
OHV engine with cast iron cylinder liner • Efficient, reliable, powerful
• Long life, excellent heat dissipation
Easily detachable side panels • Easier serviceability
Noise Block™ sound reduction system • Very quiet

Larry and Heidi from CA

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Honda 2000's. They were about $1800 together.

Realize, that you can hook 2 of these together and have a 4000 watt genny. They only weigh 45 lbs each. Also, don't use much gas.... I hate hauling gas during freezing weather and power outages... I bought mine to power our house during power outages....we need for frig, freezer, central gas heat and few lights. Up at our new house, we have a permanent 18K natural gas unit for backup...hopefully be in there soon....I also went ahead and got extended use tanks and natural gas hookups for them....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
You'll be happy with them. Just run some SeaFoam through them and leave it in the tank before storage. The idle jet is very small and likes to clog with today's crappy gas.

Also, always set it on a board or even a piece of cardboard if it is run on dirt or sand. Otherwise, the cooling fan will suck up dirt or sand and fill the bottom with it.