Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine temp? Diesel Pushers
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine temp? Diesel Pushers
 Login now/Join our community

posted
For you diesel pusher owners I have a question. I noticed on our trip that our Cat engine water temp and oil temp ran at 175-180, and I wondered if this is somewhat normal?

Thanks,

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Dale,
I don't know what would be normal for the "cat." however my Barth (Det. diesel)is heat sensitive so I put in 170 thermostats and thats just about what it runs at. If you recall I had to do an engine replacement and wanted to take every precaution to keep it running cool.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Thats about the same for my B5.9 Cummins/Banks. 200 is not uncommon on long hard grades.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dale, I run at just about 180 all the time. We just returned from a sailing trip in Rhode Island and took the back way home (up and down the hills of north eastern CT) on a 95 degree HHH day. She still ran at 180 towing my Honda Accord. My generator stayed at 175 the whole trip.

Bill G

p.s. I have a Cummins 8.3 6CAT 300 HP engine.

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds as though I am running normal.

By the way I was born in normal, NORMAL, IL. that is. Got a speeding ticket as a teenager in Chicago in the 50's and the cop said, SON, WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR LIC. and I SAID IN NORMAL, and he said, YOU SURE DON'T DRIVE NORMAL. True story. No remarks ron.

Dale

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, wouldn't touch that one with a ten-foot pole. Too easy. :-)

That 180'ish temp sounds about right. The Cummins runs between 180 and 200 most of the time. It's my Allison temp that is questionable. It hardly ever reaches 150. I suppose this is a good thing but you cannot do the fluid leve check with the tower unless it's above 140 if I understand their instructions correctly.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post