Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Spartan Steering Wheel Removal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Spartan Steering Wheel Removal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I need to repair or replace part of the GM combination switch on my Breakaway.

Does anyone kow how the horn button and finisher are attached - is it s friction fit or threaded? Or is there some other mysterious secret to get to the nut (not the one behind the wheel)?

------------------
Rusty

StaRV II, '94 28' Breakaway, 6.5L TD
2 Not-spoiled Golden Retrievers.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
WHat do you mean by "combination switch"?

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eric:
WHat do you mean by "combination switch"?

Yeah. And: what chassis do you have? Is the "horn button" actually a Ross Steering Assembly with a soft "horn" and electronics in the wheel hub? That's what will probably be on a Spartan chassis.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited February 13, 2006).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's a Spartan chassis with a diesel pusher.

The combination switch is the one that has the turn signal, headlight dimmer, cruise control, and wiper controls using one stalk.

Mine has the soft horn button in the middle, with the Spartan logo. I don't know who the manufacturer is, as the only thing in the manual about steering identifies the Saginaw box.

------------------
Rusty

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
To remove the turn signal there is a two piece snap together cover that surrounds the steering column below the wheel. The switch is held on with 2 allen screws and is plugged into the wire bundle. Wh do you need to remove it?

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The stalk is rotating with the windshield washer switch; I think the pin has come out or the housing is broken.

Anyway, the combi switch on mine is buried in a one-piece housing which also has the ignition switch and tilt lever...it doesn't come apart. The only way to access the switch is to remove the steering wheel.

------------------
Rusty

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
After calling Spartan on another matter, I asked Duane about the steering wheel removal - the rubber horn button pops out nicely by sliding a small screwdriver undr one edge...it's held in place by a metal collar with three protruding tangs.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields