Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Chasis Charging system - Need help
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Chasis Charging system - Need help
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I need some help on the engine electrical charging system. The system is only putting out about 12 volts (measured at the battery with a VOM, while engine is running). The alternator is a stock replacement, about 1.5 years old. I removed it from the vehicle and took it into the parts store for testing. According to the guy at the parts store, where I had it checked, it passed their test. When I reinstalled it, the problem remained (as it should, since nothing really changed). I cleaned the connections at the alternator and repaired a couple of questionable wires.

So, I started checking connections and voltages. I checked at the isolator and I’m not sure if I checked it correctly. As I understand it, when checking the voltage, the reading at Post “a” and “b” should be 12 volts with the engine NOT on and 13.5 volts (or so) when the engine IS running. So, I checked the voltage with a VOM by contacting the positive probe of the vom to post “a” and the negative probe to the frame as ground. Basically 0.5 volts was observed. Obviously, this is not the reading expected.

Two questions:
1. Did I check the isolator correctly?
2. Any suggestions on where to start for the charging issue?

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
w/ “FRED” FRont End Diesel
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You should have gotten at least 12.5V at the battery posts, and 13.3-13.5V at the alternator connection. (I don't know what posts are "a" and "b", since isolators are different. In any event, isolators act as splitters, dividing the charging power between the two batteries (House and chassis).

First the check is to the alternator output. If that reads 13.5[u]+[/u] (engine running), the alt is OK; then the isolator outputs need to be checked - 12.3-12.7V should appear there.

Instead of chassis ground, check voltages at the battery posts when testing the isolator.

It sounds like you may not have had a good ground when testing the alternator, and you may need to make a jumper wire to connect to a known good ground. The chassis battery negative terminal should be reliable, however.

0.5V is way out-of-line.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Thanks for the feedback. I have never checked an alternator for output while on the unit. How do I do that other than for checking voltage at the chassis battery?

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Basically 0.5 volts was observed

Sounds like one (or both) of your voltmeter probes was not making a good connection. ORrrr your voltmeter was set to AC instead of DC??
Are your batteries not charging? If you don't have an actual problem, consider leaving it be.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always good to look for the easy and obvious, first. I do question the quality of the ground connection. I'm going to try something different, later today, when I get a chance. The settings were on the DC. I checked that twice. But, it was a good idea.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Cropper:
Rusty,
Thanks for the feedback. I have never checked an alternator for output while on the unit. How do I do that other than for checking voltage at the chassis battery?
\

The voltage at the chassis battery will be after the isolator output, and if it's low, won't tell you if the isolator or the alternator's bad. There should be three terminals on the isolator - alternator ("input"), and house and chassis battery terminals. They use a common ground.

You want to check the voltage at the alternator input terminal.

Also, make sure you're checking the alternator isolator and not the converter isolator - there are usually two...the converter (120 VAC to 12 VDC) runs only when there's 120 V supplied.

If they aren't marked, measure the voltage with shore power on, then with it off. The one that drops is the converter's, the other is the engine's alternator's.

In no case should the engine be run with the alternator lead disconnected, unless you want to install a new alternator. It could fry the diodes).

But as Gunner mentioned, if it works, don't fix it...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d like to share an update in this little under charging mystery. To day, I took the Barth to a different auto parts store and asked them to “test” the system with their charging testing system. (I have not been able to take it to any kind of shop. Some of us Barthers still need to work for a living.) The battery tested low, but OK, which is what I expected. The ammeter probe was placed over the positive line at the battery, not at the battery connection on the alternator. The system stated that the system was charging. I’ll admit that I have no experience with this test system. However, my gut feel is that this test was OK. Meaning that it was looking at one side after the isolator

Now, the dash gauge and my VOM indicate that the system is not charging. The gauge is below the neutral line. The VOM reads 12.0 volts. I’m hoping to have the calibration checked on my VOM, tomorrow.

I have not checked the isolator check suggested by Rusty. That will need to wait till Tuesday evening.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to disparage Parts Guys (OK, maybe I do), but they have a standard test they employ, mainly, "What's the voltage at the battery?". They're totally ignorant about motorhomes, and clueless about isolators, as there's no need for them to be qualified.

First off, on a typical vehicle, low voltage at the positive battery terminal can be caused by a bad alternator, a bad battery, or a bad ground.

What you should see (typically) at the alternator output is 13.6-14.4 V. An isolator will drop that about 0.7 V.

It sounds like you're having problems charging the batteries, so here's the procedure:

1. Voltage at the alternator terminal of the isolator should be 13.3 - 14.6 V

2. If 1., above is on spec, then both battery terminals on the isolator should read 12.6 V to 13.9 V.

3. If 1. is on spec, but there's a differential between the outputs on the isolator, there's either a bad battery or a bad isolator. Switch the chassis and house battery connections at the isolator. If the same isolator terminal shows low voltage, it's a bad isolator. If the low voltage follows the battery (i.e., changes terminals), bad battery.

The dash voltmeter isn't much of a precision instrument (which is why very few have actual voltage markings, just a band that's "OK"), and its reading may be off due to a bad ground.

Rely on your voltmeter. They rarely, rarely, get "out of calibration" as they're very simple, robust devices, but checking it against a known source is never a bad idea.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem while the engine is idling and even up to about 45-50mph. I had an auto/truck electronics expert check out my problem with this solution, slightly reduce the size of the alternator pully so it turns just a little faster. I did not do this as yet and don't know if that is the answer.

Jim Smiler

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A better solution would be to replace the alternator, because it sounds like it's bad.

Speeding it up with a smaller pulley merely delays the inevitable - or accelerates it due to extra bearing stress.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
My org. alt. did the same thing and this was the new alt. that he advised going to a slightly smaller pully on.

I never went to the smaller pully and at present I just keep an eye on it.

At night time I have to be doing 60-65 with the lights on to keep it at about 13volts.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I don't agree at all with your tech (you probably already guessed that) Smiler. There's something amiss with your system - if you're up my way (north of Gainesville), there is an excellent electrical shop in Alachua (about 1.5 miles from I-75 Exit 399), or I'd be happy to troubleshoot it for you. It's not rocket science, it's just a logical progression of tests.

For a quick-and-dirty test: If you have enough slack to remove the alternator cable from the isolator and connect it to the battery positive terminal, I'd try that and see what the voltage is; that would pinpoint the isolator if voltage is normal; otherwise, the alternator or ecitation is suspect (see below).

Also, I would use a hand-held voltmeter, since the one on the dash may not be accurate.

Alternators (and hence dash voltmeters) will show low readings if the alternator is bad (not enough voltage generated - a bad diode maybe), the excitation circuit has a bad connection (doesn't push the output voltage up high enough), or the battery is bad. Occasionally, the reading will be low with a bad battery ground, but that condition usually results in a high reading.

It's not uncommon, either, for a replacement alternator to be defective off-the-shelf.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Rusty, speaking of logical things to do, my next place to look will be grounding connections and wire connections. I remember a post a while back that discussed the affect of poor grounding connections. Since almost all of these coaches are at least 8 years old, there could be a few loose, broken, or corroded ground connections.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great suggestion - the alternator ground could be bad, and the excitation too low.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It's test lead and ammeter time. Run a wire from an alternator bolt to the batt negative. Run a lead with an ammeter from the alt large connector to the battery positive. It should be the only wire there. This will eliminate your MH wiring. Fire it up and read the ammeter and a good voltmeter. If your battery is good, the amps should start out high and decline as the battery is charged and the alternator senses heat. The volts should slowly rise. Then turn on all the lights. The amps should rise and the volts will fall a little, but still be above 12.5 volts.

If things are not right, pull the flat connector off the alternator and check voltage with the ignition on. You should have full batt voltage at the big wire and a little less at the small wire, owing to the resistance of the idiot light or resistance wire. Be sure the connections are tight and clean. Those connectors take a lot of heat, dirt and vibration stress. Shops sell new ones for a pittance. I don't think you have an idiot light, but there is a resistance wire in the harness that takes its place for field excitation. There are some bootleg one-wire conversions that eliminate the small wire circuit, and don't work well until rpm are up

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post