Barthmobile Portal
Window Gasket Joints - Too Big?

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/2991054691

07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Lee
Window Gasket Joints - Too Big?
I'm currently going over the entire unit inch by inch, cleaning & resealing all joints w/ polysulfide caulking......

In the past, I've noticed that the rubber gasketing on all of the windows have a gap where the ends butt up, ranging from about 1/8" inch for the small kitchen port hole to 3/4" inch or more on the larger windows. The butt joints are always located on the bottom rail, so I thought it might have been a drainage/venilation thing, but since they also have the weep holes & covers installed, I'm beginning to wonder if this gap is the result of shrinkage after 28 years, and the gaps may be a source of moisture intrusion, and should be plugged shut with polysulfide......(I think the windows are Hehr - at least they look like them...)

Thoughts?
07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Bill Stevson
Lee, your window gaskets have probably shrunk. Mine appeared to be the originals from '73. Some of mine had definitely shrunk and some were getting hard and brittle. I replaced them all and left no gaps where the two ends meet. It wasn't too bad a task and besides making them water/wind tight it really made an improvement in the overall appearance.

Bill & Diane
1973 25'
07-14-2006, 10:29 PM
timnlana
Bill and Diane:

We have the same Barth and as you can guess the molding on my windows also being 1973 needs a visit.

Where did you get your molding? Do you have part numbers for the rubber?

Timothy
07-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Bill Stevson
I'm pretty sure I got it here: http://all-rite.com/. I have been trying to save all my receipts but couldn't find the one for the glazing bead. I think you need the 3/16" Glazing Bead 400' roll. It took almost the full roll to do all of the windows excluding the front windshields.

Bill & Diane
1973 25'
07-15-2006, 04:03 PM
timnlana
Bill & Diane:

Thank you, I see the company is up by Montery California. Montery is nice drive and there is good camping up that way, I'll have to give them a visit.

Thank you very much:

Timothy