Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    starters
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

starters
 Login now/Join our community

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Relative:

quote:
and a remote solenoid kit cleaned up the act completely. Went several years with no more problem. Also, every time I stuck in a starter, the shims required were different. Fortunately, each came with a couple of shims and I had a bunch on hand.

And the post at Malibu Racing says:

Run a wire or short the "S" terminal to the "BAT" on the stock GM solenoid. This way, the solenoid is getting FULL battery voltage to the solenoid.

And the lights shine from the heavens, this is the one tidbit I have been missing. I will do as you suggest. This will clean things up as well, no more wad of wires to the starter just the single battery cable; this is so cool.

I looked at a blanket but when wrapped around the starter it looks like it could short out the terminals on the solenoid so I did not install it.

The starter is a new starter, sorry I did not say so, I see I missed that in my last post. I learned as you have about "rebuilt" parts. My learning was done with alternators, quite a number of alternators.

There were no shims in my starter motor box, I will use Bill H's guide and check how the startermotor engages. Shim stock is easy to get if I need it.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
My learning was done with alternators, quite a number of alternators.

Sheeze! I have got so I carry a genuine Delco regulator with me. Since I started doing my own rebuilding, the failure rate has gone way down. Kragen got tired of me bringing back their lifetime guaranteed alternators.

quote:
There were no shims in my starter motor box, I will use Bill H's guide and check how the startermotor engages. Shim stock is easy to get if I need it.

Shim stock can fall out. A good auto parts store should have shims. If you do use shim stock, use brass, and use a paper punch or gasket punch to make a bolt hole so it stays in place.

Some mechanics will set up a starter by ear. If you remember how those old Chrysler products with a gear reduction starter used to make a grinding/screeching sound, that is sort of what a tight Chevy starter sounds like. If you put in a shim and the sound gets better, you did good. Do not be tempted to just loosen the bolts and start it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
So, Jon, a year later, after two pages of help and information from a bunch of us.............how did the starter on your 21 ft Barth work out?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
So, Jon, after two pages of help and information from a bunch of us.............how did the starter on your 21 ft Barth work out?
I called him on the phone. He wound up fixing his coach only to drive it off the road and wreck it. He is currently looking for another Barth that is less then 23' in length.

He stated that he would be parting out the current 21' Barth and offer the pieces for sale in the next few days. I've asked for the data tag info on the wrecked Barth. He says that he can not find it.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post