Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Not The Furnace!!!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Not The Furnace!!!
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted
Yes, the furnace. I installed this Suburban NT34 new, not 6 months ago. We have been using the furnace to knock the chill off, usually in the mornings, for about 2 weeks. All was well until night before last. Turn the thermostat on and the blower motor goes, but it never tries to light and then turns the blower off after about 10 seconds. I have 2 house batteries with a battery charger hard wired in. I have the charger set to 15 amp charge and have the "deep cycle batteries" switch selected. There is about 12.5 volts at the furnace plug and I have continuity through the thermostat wires at the same plug. I have about 30% propane in the tank. I removed the front cover of the unit, turned it on & noticed that I didn't hear the gas valve trip, nor did the igniter fire. I can light all three burners on the stove, as well as run the fridge on propane at the same time, no problem. I can turn on all the 12v lighting in the coach and all seem bright. This is most frustrating. Any and all advice is welcomed. I searched the archives here and didn't come up with anything. I'm hoping at this point that it isn't something like a board. Thanx in advance.

------------------

Mark & LeAnna
1973 Barth 25 L
402 cid
P30 Chassis

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Track down the thermal cut off switch (it's the size of a dime)and tap it with something. In mine I have to use a Hibatchi Skewer threw the fan to get to it. One tap and it's ready to go. It's a cheap piece of junk switch that will disable the whole system. Same thing applies to the hot water heater.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
With luck, the literature on your furnace will include a schematic of the wiring. The power flow sequence is power switch, thermostat, sail switch, relay, limit switch, circuit board. It sounds like you're getting power at least to the sail switch. That's also a likely culprit, as is the relay, or possibly the circuit board. It doesn't sound lke a lack of propane pressure.

I put in a URL for an article on Suburban furnaces, clicked on it and got "Not Found," so I took it off..

I found the article with a Google search for "Suburban furnaces." It was about 2/3 down the first page, titled, "Monthly RV Tech. Articles. RV Technical Tips. Suburban Furnaces"

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited October 19, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited October 19, 2004).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post