Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical gremlins
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical gremlins
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of J Davis
posted
I have a 1988 barth regal 25' w/ 454 Chevy engine. I crank it and drive it monthly, but about 2 months ago it wouldn't start. Turned the ignition key, and nothing. Hooked up to AC power, and charged battery overnight and next day started up no problems since. A couple of days ago I bought a 12 v fan and tried it out in the dash outlet and it worked fine. Tried to start engine, and gauges & dash lights worked, and starter turned engine about 3 or 4 turns then everything went dead. No horn, no lights, no nuthin'. Aux. start didn't work, but house batt. had over 13 v/ The chassis batt. had over 12 v. Hooked up a booster battery and it started fine. Charged chassis batt overnight, checked voltage --12.9 v, turned key ¬hing worked. Everything was still dead as a doornail. Hooked up a booster battery, and it fired right up. I'm wondering if it might be the solenoid switch on top of the engine. Anybody have similar problems or have any idea what's wrong. Also wondering why the aux. start switch didn't work. The house batt. has plenty of voltage to start the generator and run lights, etc. inside coach.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Interesting... hmm

You seem to have more than one problem...

If nothing works until you hook up a booster battery, it seems the wiring to the starter is OK. I'd check the battery terminal connections.

The AUX start switch should help since it normally connects the coach batteries to the starter. Sounds like the AUX switch may be bad. (they carry large currents, esp during starting, and may have fried)

Check all the connections at the batteries, starter and AUX start relay (probably located on right frame rail near starter.) don't forget the ground connections to frame and engine.

good luck, keep us posted mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
First thing to check are the grounds. Disconnect, clean them, then coat with a protectant (I use battery terminal spray).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the grounds first, and connections to starter, then I'll check the aux. start switch. I'll let you know if it works.

Posts: 46 | Location: Sanford,NC | Member Since: 10-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Davis
posted Hide Post
Today was a good day in NC to wallow around in the grass with my dog under the Barth. The dog seemed to enjoy it anyway. Started with the battery first, and cleaned ground cable, and when I unhooked the positive cable there was a 10 ga. white wire with a really scimpy terminal on it. I clipped it off and added a new ring terminal and hooked everything back up. Being the pessimist I am, I just knew I had wasted my time, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.. To my surprise all 454 gas guzzling inches fired right up! All that time wasted last night thinking about solenoids, ignition switches, ground wires, and just needed to clean the battery connections! Thanks Steve and Rusty for your help.