Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Detune an Engine?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Detune an Engine?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
With an older engine would it be better to detune an engine for better MPG rather than to improve the specs?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2589 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
The gas engines used in RV service were already "detuned" truck versions, your best mileage will be obtained with it in the best original condition possible, mileage will be terrible no matter how much money you waste on it.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Rule of nature.. more power = more gas.

If you're just looking for some extra to pull the hills or drag a toad, then the extra power would be worth the consumption when needed. The rest of the time it might not pay off.

As Madrone said you're probably best to go for well tuned stock rig, driven carefully. I think speed and driver habits will have the greatest effects on mileage.

A 10% improvement is less than 1 mpg better anyway! ROTFLMAO (Look ma! We went from 6.5 mpg to 7.2 wow!)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
On a 500 mile trip to and from Tennessee to Georgia, towing a '96 Cavalier on a tow dolly, we got 8.8 mpg on the 85 Regal, 454. Driving speed was 60/65 mph. Everything set up to standard factory specs. The kicker? Nology hot wires and Beru plugs installed by the previous owner 10000 miles ago. The other kicker, Gear Vendors over/underdrive. I'm guessing rpms were around 2500 @ 60mph. No tach.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:

As Madrone said you're probably best to go for well tuned stock rig, driven carefully. I think speed and driver habits will have the greatest effects on mileage.

A 10% improvement is less than 1 mpg better anyway! ROTFLMAO (Look ma! We went from 6.5 mpg to 7.2 wow!)

Absolutely, driving habits and speed will have the greatest effect on MPG.

I am en-route to Texas, to do the Texas Mile again. this time I have made an extreme effort to keep the speed at 60 MPH. Very difficult as my Breakaway wants to run 70+. This is the first time that I have had back to back fills that were over 11 MPG. I have averaged 10.2 MPG for 110,000 miles. Keeping the speed at 60 MPH, with occasional bursts to pass some very slow trucks, easy acceleration, has really improved the MPG.

What are the savings? I will save $150 this trip (4000 miles $4.05/gal average) and the driving time will be extended by 9 hours. Probably a lot less wear and tear on the drive train also. RPM at 60 MPH is about 1750 +/-, @ 70 MPH 2000 +/-

My last fill from, El Paso to Ft. Stockton TX I got 12.8 MPG, best I have ever done. Yes going down hill slightly on this leg and I had just a little bit of a tail wind.

NOW, if I can just continue this effort for the rest of the trip. Big Grin

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I can only dream of 8+ mpg.

My heavy 33 ft tag axle rig runs about 3000 rpm at 60 mph. (@ about 7.2 mpg, I got the 10% improvement already when I changed the distributor and played with timing) mechanic

The Gear Vendor OD sounds really interesting. It would give me about 2500 rpm, but I'm not sure the old 454 has enough torque at this rpm. It would be a cool experiment... but then I would want Bill h's torque monster 502... maybe a blower.. confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I have a coach similiar to Steve's. Mine is a 35ft Royale (Barth calls it a 35 foot but it's 34 bumper to bumper) on a P30 chassis with 454. It weighs 18,900 lbs with 2 people on board. Probably close to 20,000 with family and supplies. I also have a GearVendor. I had a 20 yr old, aftermarket, orphan fuel injection system that tanked on our trip to south Texas. I ended up removing the FI system and converting to an Edelbrock carb system while sitting in an RV park...took me 5 days to figure out the problems..thank goodness for the internet. Before the conversion I got 7.0 mpg running the genny for the A/C. After the conversion, I got 7.5 mpg with the Edelbrock while running the genny and A/C. It's so hot here, that we were running the genny from 8am until we parked and hooked up to shore power.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I wondered what the final chapter was on that fuel injection system! Sounds like you got it sorted out well. Glad you made it home OK.

So you're seeing 7.5 with the carb setup and Gear Vendor, too. What rpm do you see at 60 mph?

That's better than I see, the gear vendor must be helping. If I could get one cheap enough the payback might be acceptable.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell....I messed up the tach trying to tighten up one of the terminals. I think I remember it was around 2500 before I messed it up. The 7.5 is with running the genny....so it's slightly better than that. The nice thing about the GearVendor is how quiet it makes the cab area.

I was so whipped after that episode, it's taken a while to recover!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post