Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Serious electrical problem..
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Serious electrical problem..
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Well, got the headers on nice and tight.

Figured I would run the engine to heat them up a bit then retorque the bolts.

Engine ran great for about 5 minutes then DIED.

I mean, dead.

No crank, no power. Nothing. Headlights don't work, absolutely no power.

Lots of smoke that smelled like the header paint and oil cooking off.

Heard a weird metallic sound from underneath, sounded like a relay or a circuit breaker.

Cycled about every 4 minutes.

I check the chassis battery, it is HOT.

I quickly take the negative lead off both chassis and coach battery.

hour later? Chassis batter is still HOT.

Really worried about this.

Any ideas?

Going to start running the leads later, after both the battery and I cool down.

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, found the problem

Starter wires and the large wire feeding the solenoid came in contact with the headers.

Startup heat melted insulation.

The rest is history.
Same for the wire.

Now I get to rewire the main feed to the truck and hope that that battery didn't fry nor did my alternator.

Crap.

a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
In confusion we grow, from error we learn. I'll bet a dozen guys on this site could recount similar experiences while climbing the learning curve, but it's never any fun.

What it teaches us is to slow down & do a final check before we hit the starter button. It's always a temptation to punch that button as soon as we think we have it buttoned up, but it often leads to an Oh sh*t! moment, as you just learned.

FWIW, you won't make that mistake again.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dang it!

I was going to post on being careful about the wiring around the starter a day or two ago, but when I read that you had different headers than mine, I didn't think my advice would apply.

Can we talk about hi temp solenoids and starter heat shields? And Belleville washers?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I was going to post on being careful about the wiring around the starter a day or two ago...
Sometimes when posting I find what I'm typing to be a little obvious and then I wind up deleting the post. Now, I know that Windsor Dalrymple knew not to lay the positive battery cable up against the hot exhaust manifold, it's not like he "Zip Tied" the battery cable to the header.

I'm sorry for the unfortunate mistake, like Bill H., I was going to post about the dangers of exhaust manifolds and headers melting battery cables, fuse-able links and "S" Terminal wires.

Let's face it, if you were installing a starter you would watch the wires. Unfortunately, stuff like this has happened to all of us.
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
In confusion we grow, from error we learn. I'll bet a dozen guys on this site could recount similar experiences while climbing the learning curve, but it's never any fun.
Sad, but true.
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Can we talk about hi temp solenoids and starter heat shields? And Belleville washers?
I think we better...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I can assure you that there are many of us out here that are trying to maintain our Pride and Joy and that anything that you guys post is important to us. I know it is hard for you to remember that nothing is unimportant to us beginners. And we thank you for sharing your expertise with us.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
You can put some heat shield on the headers near the starter and on the starter itself. I found the flexible shielding easier to work with around the extra large cables to the starter.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Another thing to check is proximity to the fuel lines. Lines running too close to the exhaust may boil the fuel in the lines when at idle, causing a severe gut feeling a few seconds after you resume throttle. Heat tape is the ticket under these circumstances. This is one of the rare times that the experts here have steered me wrong, with many of them saying they couldn't believe my problem was vapor lock.[Boiling gas in the lines]. After trying everything else I finally thermally protected the gas line and voila! no more problem.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Thermally protecting the starter, plugs/wires and fuel lines. Looking into a remote oil filter since the headers intrude on the stock length filter. For now, I will just have to get a shorter filter.

Electrical wiring aside, got a lot done today. 10 year old is showing some interest in mechanical stuff, so I let him remove some bolts. Really fun to work alongside my son, can't wait til my younger son gets involved.

Well, out of bad some good can come.

The leads to the starter were black with old corrosion. I dissassembled the entire loom, and cut back to nice looking copper, and soldered new wire to it. Now the loom is much longer, and I can route it away from the headers.

Gotta get some new fusible links the old ones were really nasty looking, and not from the short.

I also took this opportunity to remove the top AIR pump. What a difference that huge thing being gone makes. I can see the alternator now. The pump has to cost at least a HP at speed, what with parasitic loss and all. Now, if I need to replace the alternator, it won't be a HUGE pain, just a regular one. The AIR pump is a real bunch of nonsense. This size truck does not need this level of emissions, and it makes me mad that they are on there in the first place.

These engines came with two of them, and the bottom one shares the serpentine with the alternator, so it stays for now.

Got a list for tomorrow.

Will be more than thrilled to finish this project, let me tell you.

a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454