Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Type of Kwikee Step
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Type of Kwikee Step
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Does anyone know the series of kwikee step installed on a 1988 34 regal. All I know its a single step - My best guess is that it is a series 39 but I would like to know before ordering. It quit this weekend while in the locked position. It attempts to retract but never moves. The lights in the coach pulsate at about a one second interval when I try to retract them .....

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked to make sure the machanism is clean and nothing is bent? Also lubrication of the slides and joints helps.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I replaced my steps last year after they opened while driving and grabbed hold of a stonewall or something. I bought a plain single step kwickee system, and I had to make lots of mods to the mounting area to get them installed, including cutting away part of the area in the secret compartment in the step area. If yours can be repaired, it may be the best way to go

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
As I've said before, the step on our Euro is a piece of junk. It's a one step deal that fights you out and in and doesn't do much good in either position. There are only four bolts holding this thing to the undercarriage so I know there has to be something out there that will replace this piece of junk.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input -- I talked to kwikee and determined that series 39 should be the replacement. The paper size is the same and the hole alignment is the same. I ordered one this mornin and I let you know the results.

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update on the steps... (nothing is as it seems) The steps on my 88 barth are a series 39 step from kwikee. To install the steps - the 4 mounting holes are a smidgion to close together. I reamed out the holes and the steps bolt up prefectly. Next - the new steps have a different power connector. They use the same color code on the wires and include a pigtail with the new steps, so I cut off the existing plug and soldered on the new connector. No problemo, buttoned it all up - applies power and steps move... Everything works great except for one small item --u door the open --- steps close u close the door --- steps open.. hmmm

Called kwikee tech support - found out old step used a normally closed door switch and new door requires a normally open switch. I can buy a new switch for ~ $10 plus shipping, but will look locally.

Other than that, this was a very easy replacement. Now to find that switch.........

11/3/4 ordered switch from Hart Enterprises on monday - arrived thursday - installed and everything goes in and out when its supposed to ..

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited October 29, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited November 04, 2004).]