Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Oil pressure sending units 454 Chevy
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oil pressure sending units 454 Chevy
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
This topic has been discussed in another thread but I'm putting it here for the records. I replaced the sending unit to the gauge but added a splitter so I can have an idiot lite too.
NAPA #s
gauge sending unit OP6640
idiot lite sending unit OP6619
Gates #s
3700x2
G60607-0202
Sorry, one is the splitter and one is the extention, but I don't know which is which.
Total cost $52.
The gauge works fine, but I don't have the lite wired yet, will report asap.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
FWIW (followed the thread) Senders are on driver side, low on block, near front. Look like this:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
So what are the 2 wires coming out of the lite sending unit? I know you have to have 2 wires for a connection, but the gauge sender only has 1 and it works, so I figure ground? I'm running new wire for the idiot lite, so what do I need? I know I'm asking a lot but I grab it when I can get it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think the pressure sender is a variable resistor internally grounded, ergo one wire.

I'm guessing without checking (I ain't going under there after dark!) that the other is just an isolated two wire switch. That way it can be wired into the hot side in series or as a switch to ground.

If you're wiring it all yourself and have the choice, run power to the light and run the ground through the switch. That way if the wire shorts somewhere to ground the light just comes on. Other way grounds out power lead and blows fuse.

(I just jumped out and checked the above on the wiring diagram in archives. Above is true for the 1 and 2 wire senders.)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
FWIW: My replacement sender (NAPA)was hex-shaped, installed easily w/ 15/16" deep socket.
It's chassis grounded, so go easy with the Teflon or you'll lose ground - I've proved it Mad

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's chassis grounded, so go easy with the Teflon or you'll lose ground - I've proved it

Never thought about that. I T-taped everything but it still works so I must have gotten metal to metal. My gauge sender was a can looking thing, kind of like an in-line fuel filter. The idiot lite sender is more like a spark plug.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK one more stupid question. Lenny gave me a LED bar to use as an idiot lite. It has 2 wires. I put the splitter on the sending unit and have the idiot lite sending unit in place. So, one wire to an ignition switched hot source, the other to the sending unit? Doesn't seem right to me but I don't know what else to do. Also, if I wanted to use the same strip for a temp idiot lite is that possible, or do I have to have another lite strip for that?

79 Barth Classic

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Seems reasonable as the sensor in the block just completes the circuit by making the connection. You would want a different light for the water temp so you know what is causing the problem, but the same rule applies. The question I have is how the wiring is normally routed in a factory harness so you get the dash lights at start up? This allows verification that they are working. Someone here must know.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Corey, I don't have any factory idiot lites, just gauges. That's why I want to install this, so I'll know the instant I lose pressure, not after the damage is done. [That knocking noise is the idiot alarm Red Face]

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK, one MORE stupid question. I just noticed one wire has a white stripe. Hot or ground or doesn't matter?

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Project complete! I now have a working oil pressure gauge AND a working idiot light LED bar. A side benefit is I'll know if I accidently leave the key on. That bar is BRIGHT.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My dash has a "check gauges" light that indicates something is out of specs - temp, oil press, charging.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post