Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Idle adjustment question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Idle adjustment question
 Login now/Join our community

posted
No, I ain't gonna try to power this from my inverter. :-)

I noticed several times during my trip that the idle speed would not return to the "normal" 1000RPM for a warmed engine, but stayed around 2000RPM. Gasoline 454 with all stock stuff except the K&N and snorkel extension. I assume there is a "pot" there on the carb that is responsible for slowing the closure of the butterfly and has become fouled somehow.

Before I start feeling around in the dark, has anyone experienced this type behavior and what'd ya find?

Thanks

BTW: the BRP and areas between Franklin, NC and Waynesville, NC look like they were painted by the hand of God.......He seems to be working down from higher elevations and has reached about the 3500 ft AMSL as of last Saturday.

[This message has been edited by ron (edited October 14, 2003).]

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ron, you don't say your year, but here is general info.

If you have aftermarket dash air, the idle adjustment is a hex head screw at the forward left corner of the carb. I adjust mine with a 1/4 inch open end wrench. See if yours is fully returning against the idle stop screw. If not, a new or stronger spring may be all you need. Or rebend the end of yours to make it effectively shorter. Or a little dri slide on the linkage. Dri slide is really good for hot areas, as the liquid goes away without leaving any gum, but leaves a deposit of molybdenum disulphide which is a great dry lubricant.

If yours came with factory dash air, there mey be an adjustable solenoid that is the idle stop. Its function is to raise the idle when the dash air is turned on. Make sure it is free and working.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, that's about what I figured. Mine is an '84 with dash air and the symptom has been slowly emerging so I was getting ready to do a WD40 assault. Good point on using dry-slide. The WD40 would become veneer in minutes as hot as the compartment gets!

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
My idle problem was the cruise control cable

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm the cc cable huh? Just a lube job or a complete replacement. How did you narrow it down to that cable???

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I disconected the cable to see if it solved the problem and it did. Going to replace the old ARA CC with a new electronic one.

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, I forsee a "How Too" article in the near future. :-)

My cruise works but seemed a bit slow to respond at times. Found the bracket which supports the main throttle connection was loose. The rivets had wallowed out over the years. Sure would like to hear how your project comes out.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Speaking of speed control, My Regency system works well, but tops out at 67 MPH. Does anyone know how to adjust this unit? I doesn't work quite like the units on gas engines. Bill

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post