Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Regency 3208T engine swap
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regency 3208T engine swap
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have done a lot of searching and can't find what I need. I can find several threads where people talk about someone performing the swap but no first hand accounts.
We love our Barth but need more power than the Detroit 8.2 provide.
Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who has actually swapped a 3208 in place of a 8.2L?

Thanks in advance.
Greg

Posts: 7 | Location: cincinnati | Member Since: 09-08-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I think you would be far ahead buying a Gillig chassis Regency with the 3208t in it rather than the money you will spend doing a conversion. Its lots more than the engine - bellhousing, total exhaust system change, new radiator, intercooler, turbo and the ECM that has to be wired and calibrated. Your hydraulic pump and fan drive sytem will change and at least the brackets for the alternator. Then you have to adapt the wire harness - solenoids, sensors, connections may be farther away than your current harness - so lots of electrical work. But anything is possible!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom and Julie, you may be correct. We bought our Barth very cheap because it needed work (and still does)so I'm trying to figure out what I could sell it for compared to what I can invest for upgrades.
There is no intercooler or ECM to change, neither motor has them. I'm not sure what your referring to when you mention a hydraulic pump and the alternator is in the same location unless I'm mistaken
The radiator would me a minor issue in the scope of things.

Believe me, I'm not trying to trivialize what I'm talking about doing, I'm just trying to make an educated decision.

Posts: 7 | Location: cincinnati | Member Since: 09-08-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Going to give opinion without hands on knowledge. I would look at a 7.3 navistar from a ford pickup. Better size and weight. You must have a MCC chassis as that is the only one I know used the 8.2.

The 7.3 has a lot of aftermarket support due to the number out there. You can get an easy 350hp. Also I hope you have an Allison 600 series transmission and not a 500 series.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 7.3 is certainly on the list of possibilities but I think it would be more difficult to swap in. They are computer controlled and are throttle by wire. The plus side is they are cheaper (for the most part) than the 3208T, more readily available, and like you said there is a LOT of aftermarket support.
My biggest concern would be EGT's. I've had a couple powerstrokes in trucks and even with a mild tow tune you had to keep an eye on the EGT's.

Gary, you seem to have your Cummins turned up. How high do your EGT's get on a long hill?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Didn't think the 7.3s were computer controlled, but I am not afraid of computers.

I had our 5.9 at close to 400hp. Took it for a spin, stepped on it hard and thought the front end was going to come off the ground. Decided I couldn't afford the breakage and cut it back to about 300 estimated. I watch the egt and on a hard climb will top 1300. Don't like it there so will drop to 4th gear and get the rpms up and it will drop to about 1200 which is ok.

Keep in mind with the allison 2000 I have 5th overdrive and turn 1800 rpms at 70mph.

The 5.9 would be a great engine for a conversion. Just not sure about length.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post