Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tow dolly brakes
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tow dolly brakes
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
I have a 94 Regency with the 300 Hp Cummins and I am considering a tow dolly for my 96 Cutlass with auto. I have never towed before so I have been researching my options on flat towing vs using a dolly. Since I don't want to trade up to a flat tow car, I am stuck with adding a pump kit to my auto or using a tow dolly. I have been told that the pump kit/flat tow option may cost as much as $2500 when you add a tow plate and bar so I am considering a dolly which may cost as little as $300 to $500 used. Which leads me to my question: should I consider getting a dolly with brakes? If I do, how do I hook up electric brakes to the air brakes on my RV? I am familiar with this hookup on P/U trucks but not on air brakes. Also, I am assuming that most dolly brakes are electric and not surge.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Tow dollies can be either surge or electric brakes. I have used both, and despise surge brakes. If nothing else, electric brakes allow you a manual override to prevent the tail from wagging the dog.

THIS is what I use to tow my race car trailer with electric brakes. It does not connect to the brake hydraulics or air at all.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. This looks like a good product and an easy answer to my problem. Now I just need to research the cost.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
One possible drawback to a dolly is that some campgrounds are fussy about storing them while you are driving the toad.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
From my own experience and others, there is a big difference in hassle factor between towing with a dolly, & towing wheels down. El Segundo Bill exposes an important element of it in his post. IMHO, if one plans ro travel extensively, one is better off going wheels down, even if it means buying a different toad.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
One advantage of a dolly (perhaps the only advantage) is that you can back it up easily. Backing 4down is trickier and is somewhat limited.

Another consideration with buying another vehicle, is you can address issues that are related to and even specific to your travels. Such as storage space, off road capabilities, etc. Our own choice for years was a mini pickup with a shell. We even used it for sleeping when we went places where we had to leave the Barth to continue on tighter, rougher or non-existent roads. I got so quick at disconnecting the driveshaft that I never bought the remote disconnect.

Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your advice on the tow dolly. I am convinced at this time that it is the most economical option for me because I am not a "full timer" and will only use the dolly occasionally. I agree from all I've read that the flat tow is the overall best option -- just not the most economical for me.

By the way, does anyone have one for sale with brakes???

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

<Charles L>
posted
As A matter of fact I do have one for sale but we are so far apart, north Indiana

Reply With QuoteReport This Post