Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Steps
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Steps
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sloop John B
posted
I did it and now I'am going to have to fix it. I think the door switch is loose and the steps move in and out as if by then self. The railroad tie did not move but the steps parted and now look like @#$%* . I have ground off the rivets(not aluminum) and starting to flatten parts. Question? Replace rivets or use sholder bolts , if I can find them.

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I used shoulder bolts from McMaster-Carr 91259A617, 3/8 shoulder dia, 3/8 L shoulder, 5/16-18 thread. A real thin AN960 L washer between the moving parts, and a shallow self locking nut.

www.mcmaster.com

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited January 03, 2006).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Thanks billh will try and order some . JKB

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
billh THANKS McMaster-Carr has everything. I am picking up at will-call today in Elmhust which is close by.. THANKS the will call guy was VERY helpful. JKB

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I picked up the shoulder bolts ,they will work great. billh , I find that the rivets on the actual sliding step part look like they will have to be replace agian with rivets due it clearance. I will have to look and see if McMaster-Carr has shoulder type rivets to replace the original ones that pulled out. I guess rivets will have to be set with a die type of tool to deform the flat end, gald there is room to work on both ends of the rivets in this area of steps. At least I can see the end of this project and not a large repair bill. JKB

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Jkb, keep us posted with a source for the rivets. I have only replaced the pivots on my step. More than once, sad to say. Off-roading is tough on steps.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
I will have to look and see if McMaster-Carr has shoulder type rivets to replace the original ones that pulled out. I guess rivets will have to be set with a die type of tool to deform the flat end, gald there is room to work on both ends of the rivets in this area of steps. At least I can see the end of this project and not a large repair bill. JKB

How are the rivets coming?

Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
bill h ; Thanks for asking. The steps are back together with mostly new shoulder bolts instead of rivets in most places. I had to put the bolts on sometimes backwards to clear the moving parts but not a problem, now I have to test it out when the weather breaks. We were watching the Rose Parade , I thought it didn't rain in southern California? At least you dont have to shovel that stuff.. JKB