Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Purple Tail Lights
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Purple Tail Lights
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I know this has been talked about at length on this site regarding the fading of the red plastic lens to purple. So this is the fix we came up with and it really works. We replaced the 1157 blubs with LED conversion blubs that are red and when they are on they come through the purple just as red as can be.

Here's a link to a place that has pretty good prices on them for anyone interested.

www.superbrightleds.com

Bruce Nalder
Renton, WA.
92-30'Breakaway

Posts: 30 | Location: Renton, Wa. USA | Member Since: 08-16-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
What type of lense-covers are currently on your vehicle???

Manufacturer? -and- Model #?

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The KD460 which are not being manufactured anymore.

Bruce Nalder
Renton, WA.
92-30'Breakaway

Posts: 30 | Location: Renton, Wa. USA | Member Since: 08-16-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
BCN, I think that is a great idea, what is the specific part number you used. I see there are several.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Before I bought new lenses, I used a piece of red gel film over the bulb. I found an 1157A with the amber color removed to be the best bulb. Some 1157As have the amber dye on the inside, so check.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used the 1157-R19 from another source and then found this site which is much cheaper and if I had to do it again I would get the 1157-R24 to give the broader spectrum of light.

Bruce Nalder
Renton, WA.
92-30'Breakaway

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, this may work... They come in white and chrome for the mounting base. They don't look as slick as the originals but...

Grote lamp white Model #51102
Grote lamp chrome Model #52002
Measurements: 14 13/16"L x 5 7/8"W x 11/16"D

This one is thrown in here in case someone wanted to use another style or put two together put one long and one short or whatever. More likely then not you wouldn't use it but it shows dimensions... so I put it in.

This last image is wrong. The specs show it to be 14 13/16 Long and not the 4 13/16 the picture shows.

This info came off of the Grote website. Look at the right side and click on the double and triple pod links.

I did a quick google search and...

Dyer's RV is selling them for $32.95

These are good current numbers and are available.

The ones on my Barth say Monarch 5129 and look just like those triple lights up top.

I would think that if you made an aluminum spacer plate or put some triples or doubles together that these could work for you.

I know that most of the Barth's looked like this

These were a little over 22" long but the same width as the shorter ones.

I have seen several posts by doing a search for tail light* in the Barth search engine and some of us have the shorter lights like what is pictured way up top.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Not purple, but aged from sun, ice, and water....

I need lights on my '87 Barth Regal. I also have the Monarch 5129 assembly.

This is a recessed light. It seems that Grote has two candidates that will fit the existing holes in the aluminum.

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=52002&mode=print
This is six function: stop, tail, turn, clearance light, back-up light, and reflector

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=52112&mode=print
This is five function: stop, tail, turn signal, back-up light, and reflector

Do I want the five or the six function?

Bargman has the LED tail lights. Check page 3 of this document, http://www.bargman.com/Lights/PDF/Ceq-Lights-pg06-61-2006i.pdf.

I'd like to go with the LED lights, but the hole needs to be an inch or so narrower to use the Bargman 84 and 85 series. I don't want to fool around with making an adapter to enable the Bargman lights to fit mechanically.

I think that this is the last thing standing in the way of a Massachusetts inspection sticker. I can get the Grote items at Fleetpride, a trucking supply company.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I called a guy named Dave in customer service at Grote, and got the answers about the differences. The "clearance light" is needed to mark the width of the tail of trucks, and this must be red by the regulations. A truck would use the 52112 with the yellow lense if there was a separate red light for marking the edge of the tail of the truck.

This red light should be within six inches of the edge of the truck. Dave did not know the RV regulations.

The 52002 would be the right one to use in cases where the Monarch 5129 is used. Dave at Grote said that his company had bought out Monarch. So that might explain how it is that the Grote lights fit the holes made for the Monarch 5129 so nicely.

I think Bill NY might have said something about these elsewhere now that I think about it!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post