Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Starting Problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Starting Problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
I went-out to start the truck today.

Turn the key to the ON position and the normal compliment of warning buzzers and lights come-on on the dash.

However, the toggle-switch activated, Stone-Bennett gear selector display, shows that the vehicle is in "R" [reverse].

When you turn the key to the "START" position, there is "nothing" ...not like a dead-battery sort-of "nothing", but like a cut-out circuit [or something], that is indicating the truck is in REVERSE and can't be started.

I know it was in Nuetral when I last shut-it-down, as it won't "shut-down" unless the transmission is in "N".

What is the solution / cause to this one???

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Had the same thing happen to me once. I crawled under the coach and pushed the gear slide back one space and that put it in N and the motor cranked. Happy holidays.
SKY

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I was considering that exact same type of action, as this is the only thing that I could think-of as being the solution to the problem.

I will try this tomorrow, as it's pretty dark out-there now.

I will post-back with the results.

THANKS!!!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Crawled underneath today ...located what I thought was the "gear-slide" ...pushed-it foward one notch.

Hopped-inside ...turned the key ...and was now in "N" [neutral].

Started right-up ...go figure!

Thanks for the suggestion Sky ...you were right-on!

I also know how it happened:

I had left the truck in "R" after applying the parking brake, shut the key OFF, but it wouldn't shut-down as it was still in Reverse.

Flipped the gear selector toggle-switch to "N" and the truck shut-down B-4 it had a chance to shift to Neutral.

"Operator Error"

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2