Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1998 Barth Electrical Problem
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1998 Barth Electrical Problem
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tom Loughney
posted
Rusty took a look at the coach and found the Coach 12VDC system not working (partial - fans and reefer work, but not lights and FW pump); a new cutout switch was installed, but Jeff suspects installed incorrectly (cuts out when any light is turned on). Chassis cutout works normally.

I don't understand what the cutout switch would do, unless is like a circut breaker and the light system has a short in it. But if any light does it I assume that there is more than one light circut, it can not be a short. Or can it?

Tom

Tom Loughney
Barthless....

Posts: 202 | Location: Thailand  | Member Since: 03-31-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I had the relay go in my Monarch last Spring. The system took a while to understand, but it is actually pretty straight forward. I'll try to give you a mental picture:

The battery banks to the chassis and coach are two separate systems. Each system immediately goes into a battery relay for that system (located under your bed in the engine bay - passenger side). The relay is essentially a magnetic switch which allows a low voltage signal to spin a large pendulum into place making the high voltage batteries connect. So when you push the button up front on you Intertec panel, it tells the pendulum to either swing open or closed! If defective, your either stuck on or off.

They are easy to replace and I verified mine was bad by simply jumping the hot battery lead over the switch, which powered everything up fine. I think I paid $60 bucks on EBay for a new one and all is now fine.

When you see the relay, it will have two large posts for the battery in and out, and two small posts for the low voltage command from the front panel. It is obvious where they go and color coded on the low volt posts.

There is a final device in the loop that is some kind of combiner for all batteries in case you run a bank out of juice on a bank. I simply mention it to let you know why it is there connected to your relays.

A final note. These components are bound to fail, being located in the dusty engine bay. I bought a fiberglass, sealed electrical box which I intend to put all these components inside of for future protection!!

Good luck, hope we can meet up in Florida.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also just had the engine compartment pressure washed. Maybe that is the problem. I am taking it thursday to get fixed

Posts: 10 | Location: ocala fl | Member Since: 05-22-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post