Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wiper Problem.....SOLVED!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wiper Problem.....SOLVED!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
wiper blades, linkages and motors

WooHoo! After a year and numerous attempts, I solved the wiper problem I was having. (My blades only contacted a very small patch of the windshield). Ordered the recommended wiper blade package from that place in Rome, GA (?). Problem was even worse. Tried adding additional springs to the arm....very little help.

THE FINAL SOLUTION: A couple of $3.77 ANCO blades from Wal-Mart, a 10-minute fitment mod and she wipes like a new one! I did not retrofit the washer (never used it anyway) so it'll take a little more effort to make it work, but not an impossible task.

EDITED HERE: added the washer-squirters back today. No problem, just attached them atop the new ANCO arms with some semi-permanent adhesive.

[This message has been edited by ron (edited October 21, 2003).]

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Larry and Heidi in CA>
posted
Hi Ron, what is a 10 minute fitment mod? I tried new blades and have the same problem you had. So are you saying by buying those specific blades, that solved the problem?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Glad you solved it,Ron.

BTW, what was the original problem?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, what a hassle to be so simple!

I had to remove the center piece of the ARCO (a small plastic pin), drill out the hole that the pin was fitted in and simply slide the new blade on the old arm assembly. Used the same small slot-screw and locking nut that was on the original.

I think the key here is to find a flat-profile wiper blade assembly. The one I had ordered was distinctly curved. The Wal-Mart special is definately flat. Looks like the 22" is max because it will contact the center divider (driver's side) if it's longer.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
ARCO?

ANCO?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uhhhh, yes, definately!................

OK, let me run out to the shop and dig through the trash a bit.............pause...
............................digging.........
................ah ha! Here it is "ANCO", 31-22, 559mm.

posted Hide Post
ron, do you do comedy? I used to repossess tomb stones, but never were any of my non paying customers as funny as you. WHO ARE YOU ANYWAY?

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! You got a better dleivery that mine Dale. LOL

I'm just a cheap skate smarta$$ from Alabama. Typical NASA engineer, underqualified for being a rocket scientist and over qualified for a counter job at McDonalds. Errrr, don't read my postulations about the male-male electrical cable. :-)

posted Hide Post
ron, too many did, and I hope one wasn't your boss. NASA HUH??? Funny thing I saw a bunch of those male/male extension cords cut in half and in a dumpster, just today. JUST KIDDING. I really did repossess tomb stones for living back in the early 60's. Really did....Kankakee, Il.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Ron, your male to male cord has given a new dimension to the term "rocket scientist".

Did you ever know a Tom Sitton?

Anyway, thanks for the number on the Anco blades. I put Tricos on mine, but don't remember driving in much rain, just coastal fog. I'm kind of a sissy about rain traffic in CA. Rain is Nature's way of weeding out the worst drivers here. So I don't know for sure how good they really are. Did you try Tricos? Were they among the ones you didn't like?

posted Hide Post
Dale, I think you have a "What's My Line" (ex)occupation that would stump the panel! :-)

Bill, I only picked up the ANCO units beacuse this was an experiment and they were the cheapest ones on the rack. As it appears to have been successful, I may upgrade to a better wiper or at least a quality refill.

Man, I wish y'all had picked up a few of those male/male cords from that dumpster. I could have twisted the ends together, wropped them with 'lektrical tape and had a ready-made far hazard. :-)