Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacement panel not polishable
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacement panel not polishable
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Barry Morgan
posted
A bit of a bummer that I noticed during the trade process there was a body panel that looked off. So by looking through the receipts in the vehicle and a simple eyeball stare down with it I found that it was replaced by UHaul techs with a thin non-polishable panel along time ago. They did paint it a oxidized grey to match the non-polished side and and a faded gold to spot match the stripe but to say its obvious is an understatement.

SOOOO either I find a rear passenger '73 Barth lower wheelwell panel or I paint the whole coach white and call it good.

1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25

Posts: 7 | Location: Issaquah, WA | Member Since: 06-08-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If the panel is flat, you might consider making a new one of clad aluminum. Some alloys don't polish up very well, like 7075, but a clad layer will always polish up nicely.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barry Morgan
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a panel but it is not flat, I had this problem on a bus conversion once and while its possible to pay for the bending I am well, poor Smiler

1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25

Posts: 7 | Location: Issaquah, WA | Member Since: 06-08-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Do you have a vocational high school near you? If they have a metal shop they might do the work for free or at a very reasonable price.

Good luck!

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post