Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need to lift rear of 85 Barth
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need to lift rear of 85 Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Need to lift rear of 85 Barth Regal .
I istalled Bilstein Shocks .
I know it is not supposed to help lift rear of coach .
but there is something you can add to rear springs..
help will be appreciated !!
Thanks

------------------
The Barth Holy-Rollers
85 BARTH REGAL 29 ft. = Family Pet !!
Brookhave Ms.

Posts: 9 | Location: Brookhaven , Ms. | Member Since: 12-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Here is exactly the prescription for your drooping rear...and no it's not Ginsing or anything like that. You need a shot of Helwig helper springs.

Suspension Connection has them at 800-505-5626

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
In addition to the Hellwig system, air bag systems by AirLift & Firestone are other alternatives....I went with AirLift and it really helped stabilize the rear against crosswind sway.

Regardless of add-on system used, I'd suggest that you deal with the underlying problem first. After 25 years, my OEM springs needed re-arching, not to mention a broken leaf.....All these potential problems should be addressed first.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drove by your place a couple of days after Christmas. Was in the go-mode so did not attempt to divert for a visit.

I put the Firestone kit on my '84 Regal and raised the back several inches. Never actually measured the difference, but it stopped her from dragging when entering my drive. This is a do-it-yourself, straight-forward installation. You might want to check the integrity of the front bags also. I found one of mine completely deflated. If you do the front, have your prayer book and some bandaids readily available. :-)

[This message has been edited by ron (edited January 11, 2005).]

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, I would c-y if you drove by and didn't holler. You must have been on your scooter and doing 140. How's the big M doing anyway? GOT TO LOVE THAT ron. Dave, NOW will you tell me when your in Indy? hehe

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited January 11, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited January 11, 2005).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Geez Dale, that's intense. Remind me not to let you know when I am in Indianapolis.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.
could you give a ballpark figure on airabags
and hellwig ??

Ron , I wish would have stoped ,I would have liked to meet you .
We also had a package for you , which consisted
of , home made Cajun Beef-jerky and Fresh smoked sausage .

------------------
The Barth Holy-Rollers
Brookhave Ms.

Posts: 9 | Location: Brookhaven , Ms. | Member Since: 12-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'm in agreement with Lee on this.

Here is one source for the bags:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=emanuf...erSearch%2Easp&N=100

I believe CW also sells them.

Here is a link to Air lift:

http://www.airliftcompany.com/new-index/Frameset.htm

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awwww man, I wish ya hadn't told me I missed out on some good Cajun food-stuff! :-)

Dale, I would expect a nice entree and a park-here-for-free on your back lot if I ever get that far north. :-)

As I recall, the Firestone kit was around $250. Look closely at the shock mounts. Mine were snapped off at the top!

One of the little C-H portable compressors from WallyWorld ($40) is all you need unless you opt for the air ride kit with a compressor as part of the pkg.

[This message has been edited by ron (edited January 11, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by ron (edited January 13, 2005).]

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron:
Look closely at the shock mounts. Mine were snapped off at the top!

Good advice. There is a simple welding fix. Bilsteins are stiffer and put more stress on the original upper mounts. If you use Bilsteins on the rear, you need to have this done. Let me or Dave know if you need the instructions.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
OK, folks, as we all know I am no mechanical wizard, however, I do have a little bit of a mechanical engineering background.

Rev. asked how to lift his rear end which is indeed a problem with the P-30, 20 year old springs. I am not convinced that air bags are a way to go right off. There was a suggestion up front to replace the existing springs and if one has some hundred dollar bills hanging around they don't need do that. (leaf springs are $350.00 parts only) However, since we do not want to put filet mignon in a stew here, I think the Helwigs are the thing to do first. They are adjustable to the height you desire. And you don't have to keep readjusting them.(don't forget to check those U-bolts!!) If you have an automatic pump system for your airbags you are limited to 60 psi which I question is enough to do much raising on that 7000 lb rear end. The bags are good to 90 psi but the pump isn't)(don't forget to check those U-bolts again!!) Then after the rear is at the proper elevation and you are experienceing a lot of sway when ever a PT-Cruiser drives by then go with the airbags to limit sway. But the Helwigs are going to do that too. They tend to stiffen the rear end some. They are around $224.00 (model 3510 and ask for the U-bolt kit ask for Jarrod, at 800-505-5626) Bilsteins are probably the last thing I would spend money for on the rear. You don't ride back there and there isn't generally so much movement that expensive shocks are required to restrain that movement. Plus Monroes are $40 and Bilstins, what $80?

Of course on the front with the coil springs good shocks are important. But Monroes are also good...

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 11, 2005).]

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I checked-out both Firestone & AirLift before I added rear bags, and thought they were of comparable quality... then just price-shopped. CW runs specials on AirLift occassionally..'bout $235 or so I think.

If you're comfortable with routine maintenance & working under your vehicle, installation is straightforward and they come with good directions & pics. First one was two hrs for me, half that on the second one....With a double-dose of Celebrex, it might have gone even faster.....

Air fittings are all air brake line, push-on types - goes together fast. My only mod was to install a push-on Tee in the fill lines, drill a 2" hole in the wheel well skins and install small, 0-100psi gauges next to the air supply cap at each tire well - front ones too. I now know status of each bag at preflight inspection and at every fuel stop walk-around check....Leaks, load & highway adjustments can be made with gas station air, or the little "highly crafted" compressor from China that's stored under the dinette.

All the airbag manufacturers chant the same mantra in their literature: Running with too low or no airbag pressure is the biggest killer of the bags themselves, so constant monitoring is important. (Ron's right - you DON'T wanna replace front bags very often if you can avoid it....)

I think airbag systems are a real pain, and a cover-up for some real design flaws & compromises, but to make a P-30 behave properly, ya just gotta learn to live with them.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee you Folks are amazing !!!!
We sure thank you Fellas , I will act on the advice you gave .

We live just off Interstate 55 , 60 miles south
of Jackson Ms. exit 42 , at Brookhaven Ms.
Full hookup , 50 amp service , water and dump .
we are not running an RV park But you would be more comfortable then parking at Wallmart.
And I'm sure we can whip up some Cajun goodies
Phone # 601-833-8661 Cell # 601-754-7070

------------------
The Barth Holy-Rollers
Brookhave Ms.

posted Hide Post
My bad Dave. I thought the spring-things you suggested were in the $500 range. I agree that the springs do need some help on those chassis. The inflation pressures I ran were somewhere around 75#'s in front and around 80#'s in the rear. The literature specified the pounds-of-effective-lift per pounds-of-pressure and as I recall the rear bags could pick up in the neighborhood of 3000-4000 pounds (I think). My springs loked like they were wopped out but a shade-tree mechanic informed me that they looked "normal" to him considering the applied loading.

I propose a crawfish boil at the Reverand's place. I'll rig up some electrical connectors where we can all (up to twenty or so) hook up to his service. We'll need to have a pooperator expert step forward and design the dump station connections. DoG, where are you boy? :-)

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Here's what I'm thinkin'.. Rev's got the annual babtism down at the lake during the kids camp outing. He wakes up that morning, and I know this man. The first thing that happens is his knees hitting the floor to pray for these kids who are getting ready to express on the outside their committment on the inside.

As he does so he feels that the coach is leaning a little. Well he puts on his black suit with the shinny black shoes and goes out to take a look. He thinks, well I just have an empty bag. Hearts full, the cups full, but the bag is empty. Well you see I know that a few hours later some of these kids are going to put a white chior gown over their swimsuits, but Rev. is going in that lake in that black suit. He'll have a grin from ear to ear. Mom's will be crying and Heaven will be rejoicing.

Why do I know that. Well I have seen it happen with Rev. Gordon Peterson from Soul's Harbor Church. It was at Camp Beauty near Brainard, MN. I can still see Rev. Peterson, (we called him Rev) walking out in that lake in his black suit, tie, and black shinny shoes.

So you see, I don't want this man of God to have to pump up his air bags on an important day like this. Rev, get those Helwigs, $350 installed max. And, when you hit your knees on that morning you are going to feel solid....like you should.

Dave

Oh and Ron, I'll bring my guitar and we'll sing..

Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and-a file gumbo
'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio
Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-oh
Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 11, 2005).]