Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    A/C unit 1975 Class C
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A/C unit 1975 Class C
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Wow is it hot out!!! I'm not sure exactly what the temp is, But now I know what its like to live in the face of the sun...
My A/C unit works but is so low on refrigerant that the air coming out of it is the same as the temp of the air outside. HOT. frown emoticonFrowner So on a day like today it is in possible to stay in there for more then a few minutes. The refrigerant it uses is R22 (maybe R12). I cant find any labels on it to tell me.
So I have been to every RV place I can find and none of them will work on it because they dont have the proper licenses to do the job. they will however put in a new unit for me. But the cost of that is way over my budget!.
So I went to auto places and asked them about it. they said No.
At that point I started going to every Home heating and air place I could find. But they all said it wasn't worth their time. they did tell me however that R22 comes in 30lb containers But that I would only need about 6oz of it, and even if they could get it, they would have no use for the rest.
So I got online to learn as much as I could about R22 and R12 while I was at it.
What I found out was No Bueno!!
Apparently The EPA has outlawed the use, as well as the repairing of any and all R22/R12 systems as of January 1st 2015.
So now I know why nobody will work in my A/C unit. But I really dont understand why they didn't just tell me that. I guess they all must have assumed I knew that was the case and was trying to find somebody who would brake the law for me.
is this a complement or an insult?
I'm not sure if that means that my first impression is of somebody who knows what their doing and knows what their talking about enough that I should have known that it was illegal. Or is it that I just seem shady enough that people who meet me just expect that I'm trying to brake the law. (dont reply to that) unsure emoticon:/
Anyway after some research I have found out that to change over my A/C unit would cost as much or more then having a new one installed.
The only ray of light I have found in all this is that one company has created a "Drop in replacement gas Refrigerant" that will work in old R22 units. If in fact that's what it is, and not an R12 unit. If its R12 then I'm back to the beginning.
But even with knowing about this "replacement" I still have to find a licensed Heating and Air guy who will be willing to put it in for me, and a place for him to buy it.
And I may still have to buy 30lb of it when I only need 6oz.
Now I know what your thinking. Why dont I just get a window A/C unit and be done with it? Well my windows open from side to side and not top to bottom like normal house windows. so the top sash could not come down on top of the unit to hold it in place.
Also I really want to restore the RV as much as I can to its original condition.
But to be honest I may have to figure out something with a window unit as a temporary fix until I get this other figured out.
Any advice?
I have been living in this RV fulltime now for 4 years now. But I have always been in the north until now. I'm in Tennessee and in a few weeks I'll be moving on to Florida. Would like to get this taken care of before I go any farther south.
Thanks in advance for any information or ideas you could give me.

Posts: 30 | Location: On the road | Member Since: 10-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If it's the original unit, repair (if possible) will only delay the inevitable. It's likely R-22, but many RV units have no fittings to recharge them like residential systems.

You can order 15oz cans http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2...chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
But you would need a manifold (gages) and a fitting to pierce the can and attach to the manifold, but again, first determine if your unit has fittings to recharge.

It would be best to replace the unit at your convenience rather than wait until it fails completely. A portable A/C http://www.lowes.com/pl/Room-a...g-cooling/4294749561
would be a better temporary solution than a window unit (no weight hanging from a window frame), but the price is a major fraction of an RV unit.

As far as replacement units are concerned, I replaced a Dometic with another Dometic. The replacement unit was a total PITA; I replaced 3 mechanical thermostats, modified it for digital 'stats and replaced 3 of those before the unit failed completely. I put in an Atwood Air Command, which is quieter, more powerful, and more efficient than the Dometics. A bonus is is that its less expensive than other brands.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I did end up getting a window unit and hanging it out the passengers window, but that didn't work vary well. I ended up moving it to window over the table using bar clamps to support the weight. It works for now. The roof unit has a fitting for recharge. But you may be right about replacing it. Maybe ill look into it more when I get to Florida sometime in the next few weeks.
Thanks again for the advice.

Posts: 30 | Location: On the road | Member Since: 10-12-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
As a fulltimer I'm sure you are aware of this, but for reference purposes, often cleaning the filters or replacing them is an easy fix for a warm AC. My Coleman has 2 filters, easily accessible in the coach. The cooling fins up top need cleaning every so often too. The last time my AC wasn't cooling, at about 6 years old, it was because of a capacitor, and I found out from Coleman that it wasn't needed and just disconnected it and everything was and is still fine.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post