Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    WONT START
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

WONT START
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
My son went to move the old gal to our camping spot today and it's totally dead. The generator started and we have lights but nary a sound when the ignition key is turned on. My son stated the radio came on the first time he tried the key, thought he heard a pop and then nothing. guages and light are out. looking for ideas - checked the fuses under the dash cover and the looked ok. tried the AUX switch - heard the relay click but nothing else- so where else can we look before we call a rv mechanic $$$?? Engine battery appears to be fully charged

Russell and Donna
1988 GM 454 powered 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The first thing to suspect is the starter solenoid. These ride on top of the starter (usually - some Fords have a separate starter relay) - you didn't mention what you have.

Once located, the contacts can be jumped (But get someone knowledgeable to do it if you don't know the drill). If the engine turns over, that's likely the problem.

Whether it does or not, jump the solenoid hot contact from the battery positive. If it doesn't engage the starter, the solenoid is suspect.

The third test is to see if the solenoid is getting power; with a voltmeter between the solenoid coil hot and ground, see if there's voltage when the key is turned to "start".

If all this is Greek to you, don't try it - you can be dealing with several hundred amps of current, and that can do some damage if an error is made.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply - 1st- its a 454 gm, 2nd - none of the acc items work like the radio. I can understand the solenoid issue but that wouldn't cause everything to quit - would it?

Russell and Donna

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This sounds very much like a defective ignition switch, a chronic issue on GM trucks (and still a problem in the '90s).

You might get a response by jiggling the key in the ignition. The switch is separate from the keyway, so you wouldn't have to re-key anything.

However, jumping the solenoid output terminal with the starter hot (+12VDC input) and testing the solenoid hot (from the ign switch "start" position) by jumping it to the battery is still useful. A dead short in either the solenoid or starter can cause two symptoms: 1) Dropping the voltage so far nothing on the dash will work, or, 2) Blowing the fusible link.

Another possibility is a blown fusible link, and that isn't always in an obvious place. Generally, it's a nondescript black oblong, a bit over an inch in length, 3/4" in width and depth. It will have large-gage wires attached, one at each end, and nothing else.

A final possibility - unlikely - is a relay powering the dash. This is common among pushers, as it's a distance from the batteries to the dash. When the relay is closed (by power applied through the ignition switch), power to the dash is on. However, if your batteries are in the rear, there's a possibility there is such a relay, and if its coil burned out, that could account for the "pop" your son heard. Its location, if there is one, is going to be a mystery. On my diesel pusher, it's in the front, to the side of the generator compartment.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
If the accessories worked, but still wont start, it could be the neutral safety switch on the transmission or the shifter was inadvertently moved out of park. Big Grin Yes, I've bumped the shift lever and wondered why it wouldn't start.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE and thanks....
Took my trusty meter to the site and measured the voltage across the battery - just about dead.. Son stated he jumpered the battery with his Ford superduty diesel and that didn't work - so it couldn't be the battery.. I took the battery back to good old costco and used my 3 year replacement warranty and got a new battey. Installed the new battery and guess what --- started like it should

Not the final answer yet -- I must have a current drain somewhere... its only been four weeks since it was last run, (unless something was left on) --

Still don't understand why jumpering the battery didn't allow a start and also why pressing the AUX start switch didn't allow a start...

Thanks for the help -

Russell and Donna

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If the battery was completely dead, jumpering it won't help, as the dead battery sucks up the juice. The emergency start switch "jumps" the house battery with the engine battery.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke