Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bleeding air from cooling system
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bleeding air from cooling system
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sandytoes
posted
One of the last chores before buttoning up the front is refi?lling the rad etc. The question occured to me, 'How do you bleed the air from the dash heater, which is the high spot on the system but can't be bled?' Just topping up the rad isn't going to fill that area/hoses. Any thoughts, please?

Cam
1991 Regal 28' 454
(I'm not sure why the signature doesn't auto fill)

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Open the front door where the engine is located and look to the left and up. There is a faucet handle at the top that is used to open the hot water inlet to the dash heater. There is also a drain lower in the line. Just crack it open enough to let the air out while the engine is running and it will eliminate the air. At least on my diesel, thanks to Kevin's experience, I found a booster pump in the rear engine compartment that moves the hot coolant to the front of the coach anytime the ignition is on. Probably not in a gasser, and the drain may also not be installed there either. If it has a booster pump you don't have to do this as it will clear air from the system by itself.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My Regal does not have any air bleed valves as described, but apparently does not need them. After filling the radiator, start the engine, turn heater valve on and let it run.

The heater return line goes directly to the radiator. Evidently the flow is adequate to move the air through into the radiator. After a few minutes of running, shut off and refill. (Let it cool down before opening the cap) Run it again and it should be OK. Check and refill again as needed. From that point the coolant recovery tank should keep it full each time it cools down.

I've never had a problem with trapped air. Just refill, run, and top off. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks again. I kinda thought flow might be the only way. My sprintcar is very finicky about bleeding air from the system and any trapped air causes problems. With the heater core a foot higher I was hoping the air gets pushed out 'cause bleeding up there would be a real PITA.

Adios for now.

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post