Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    2001 Toyota SR5 Towable?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

2001 Toyota SR5 Towable?
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
My son has a friend that has a 01 SR5 4 wheel drive automatic with a V-6 for sale. Has anyone ever towed a SR5 with an automatic? I guess that it is a nice truck. Maybe it is too heavy. I have heard that there is a problem towing an automatic tranmission. Any help on this?

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Does it have a transfer case with neutral? Depending on the year, some Toyotas can be towed with the transfer case in neutral. My present 4Runner is that way. Check the owner's manual.

I towed a Toyota 2WD automatic truck for several years. I got under and disconnected the driveshaft from the pinion shaft. Four bolts. And had a permanent strap to hold it up against the underside of the bed. And a bungee to pull it forward to stay in the tailshaft housing. I got pretty quick at it.

Don't know for sure about your year, but most RWD auto trans do not like to be towed. Remco sells a cable operated driveshaft disconnect that is pretty nifty, but every time I crawled under, I told myself how much I was saving.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited July 02, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have towed my Geo 4WD automatic better than 20,000 miles without trouble. Seems to me that with the 4WD transfer case in neutral the drive shafts are separated (disconnected) from the automatic tranny. Maybe this logic doesn't apply to all 4WD??? Bill H will probably have the full answer.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho Panhandle
28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew that I count on you guys for some solid answers. I just got back from a short trip to the rain forest. It was nice. I deciced not to tow the Honda. I think that was almost a mistake. I noticed a small spot of something under the engine. I got under the coach and found that a transmission coolant line had rusted through. I made it down to the Carquest auto parts store and replaced the line. I'm glad that I caught the problem before the trans ran out of fluid. We cut the trip short because of rain. I guess that is why they call the place where we stayed the rain forest.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizzlygi ant:
Bill H will probably have the full answer.

I don't think there is a full answer. There is only an individual answer for each vehicle, usually found in the owners handbook. There are even some 4WD transfer cases with neutral that cannot be towed in neutral because of lubrication issues. Depending on whether the lubricant in the transfer case is flung around by the input shaft or driveshaft. So you gotta go by the owners manual. Heck, sometimes the manufacturer gives conflicting information.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited July 03, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The auto. 4wd Geo is rated as towable if the automatic front hubs are changed to manual, transfer case in neutral, trans. in park.Same as my Suzuki Sidekick.

To my knowledge, none of the auto. 4wd Toyotas are rated by the manufacturer as towable. Check the owner's manual to be sure.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
On my 87 Jeep Wagoneer 4x4 what you do depends on whether you have the selectrac or commandtrac transfer case,....do it the wrong way and it is gonna cost you a chunk of change! read the owners manual for towing behind a rv for whatever rig you are looking at....don't just take anybody's word for it.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill H Thank you for all your help. My wife thinks that you are a great help and I agree with her. The web site wouldn't be what it is without you. Dennis