Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    amp drain
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

amp drain
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
I have a 1.7 amp drain on my coach batteries and I cannot find the problem. I pulled all the fuses one at a time to see if the drop stops. Nothing worked. I checked for lights on in cabinets and found nothing. I checked the propane alarma and it is OK. I check the booster on the TV and there is nothing wrong with it. I think I'm just going to take a battery cavble of the batter and quit looking. Any ideas?

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dennis, I am going to assume you have a P30. You might consider listing your model in your signature to help others help you.

Anyway, the typical wiring is a 2 ga wire running from the battery to the parallel relay to the genset starter and then back to the big fuseor CB and then the little fuses. What happens when you remove the big fuse or CB?

What happens when you disconnect the connections at the genset starter? Are there any fuses or CBs hiding in the gen compartment?

What happens when you disconnect the isolator coach batt terminal?

And lastly, what happens when you get underneath and disconnect the wiring at the paralleling solenoid?

Are there any extra wires connected at any of these points? Look above the radiator for extra wires connected to the CBs.

Here is the diagram that came with my 84, in hopes that it helps a little.

And lastly, installing a green knob disconnect is handier than a hard disconnect.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill The coach is indeed a 1886 28' P-30. I knew you would be able to help me out. I installed a solar charging system today to help me keep my batteries up when I'm away from a plug in. It is really hard on the batteries to keep them in a constant stag of charging all the time. The light bill went up $25 a month just to keep the batteries on the inverter.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Something is odd if your electric bill increased by $25 - this would mean the converter was drawing ~250 KWH/mo., or around a constant 340W, charging the batteries at a rate of a constant 25A @ 14VDC.

Also, most converters (even if yours is original), wouldn't charge batteries constantly. You'd notice depletion of the battery fluid if it were.

If this is the case, it's time for a new converter...and the new ones have float and desulfating cycles. About $150-170 for a 60A converter, DIY.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post