Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    fuel system 87 p chassis 454
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

fuel system 87 p chassis 454
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
I was underneath the other day and noticed the fuel line to the genny was very rusty in spots
so I decided to replace it. So this is what I find. It appears that there is a large 1/2" line coming out of the tank then into I would guess an electric fuel pump (which is disconnected?) then into something that looks like a regulator (no electric conn.) then onward thru a fuel filter to the mechanical fuel pump. There is also a smaller 5/16" line at the fuel pump which I followed returning back to the tank. This is where it gets interesting. Just before the tank there is a tee
and that is where the genny fuel line is connected. I replaced the genny fuel line and it was a straight shot all the way to the genny
no filter or pump in line. It seems to be the factory set up other than the fact that the power has been disconnected from the electric fuel pump. Both motors run fine but I have not yet taken an extended run. Do I need the electric pump and what is that regulator thing? The coach motor seems to be pulling fuel through both the elec. pump and the other thing via the mechanical pump.
The coach seems to be pulling fuel from the return line via its own mechanical fuel pump.
This is the strangest set up I have ever seen. Any ideas?

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search on "empting a gas tank" (Yes, that's the way it's spelled) for some interesting discussion on the topic.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/6411059061/p/1

Hopefully, that link will work if I didn't typo something.

Mike

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. That sheds some light on things.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post