Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Complete brake and wheel bearing replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Complete brake and wheel bearing replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Let the fun begin! This is not one of my most favorite jobs but is needed. The Breakaway has 206K miles on it now and I haven't changed the rear calipers since owning it. Front rotors and calipers were changed when I first bought it.

Some of you might recall my Alaska trip where one of the rear calipers froze and took out a pad. That means rear rotors have to be replaced.

SO, all four wheel will get new calipers/pads rotors, wheel bearing, seals and brake lines. Probably more after I get in there.

With floating axles, I have to take the entire axle/hub off to get the rotors off, that is why the bearing and seal replacement. Same on the front, can't get the rotor off without removing the hub.

I have had a very small oil leak on the front so seal replacement is necessary anyway.

Good time to get this all done before my travels this summer, probably will put on 15K-20K miles again this year.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
So, when you're finished you're coming to TN to do mine, right? Smiler All the food and drink you can handle along with being able to play with the 7-year old triplets. What a joy.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
For all of you who have not noticed, I do not see Ed beating down the door to come to Tennessee to work on my Breakaway Confused I just don't understand it. We have wonderful Tennessee whiskey, a trip to Walmart to enjoy the local sites, the Lost Sea, and three of the most wonderful 7-year old grand kids you'll ever want to meet. To say nothing of the mechanical assistance of my beautiful young bride. ( Watch out, I do have a functioning 12 gauge Winchester Defender) Violence

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
To say nothing of the mechanical assistance of my beautiful young bride. ( Watch out, I do have a functioning 12 gauge Winchester Defender) Violence

So it was a shotgun wedding..! I wondered how you hooked such a fine gal. confusion ROTFLMAO

To think of what might have been... as much as I love my wife think of what a team Tere and I would be, working on the Barths... mechanic

If mine are worn enough by then, I might do the front pads on 86Barth at Milford for a demo. Good luck on the Breakaway. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5195 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
MWrench. That's a lot o work.!! The feeling when finished is the goal. Good job keeping old metal up to todays standards. It's a hard job but someone has to get dirty.

I am still working on the Samurai project. Complete front end rebuild minus the drop out. Timing belt water pump fluids etc. Waited for parts for 2 weeks. Now I can finally put it all back together. I drove it one day and tore it down to a bare block and tore apart the front end. Something about people that fix things is they want it right.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

I look at keeping old metal alive like conserving and recycling while keeping history alive.

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bit of a delay, in Houston for a race meeting. Back at it Wednesday on my return.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If you need access to heavy tools when you come through Houston just give me a call. We are down right now as we set up the new shop- expect to be fuctional in about three weeks, after electricians and air plumbers do their things. I gave you my number but just PM if you need it.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Tom! I will be back to Houston about March 16 and will have 3 days there before going to Beeville.

Will be great to see your new shop!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ed, I have the same front axle and hubs as you; do you have a source/part number for the wheel seals?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I am proceeding BUT very slowly! Turns out that there was a miss mash of brake hoses/connectors/fittings that was crazy! Either it came that way from Spartan or a PO (2 PO) changed it along the way. I have had all hoses custom made to get rid of a multitude of fittings!

Flushing nearly done, Using Dot 4 Castrol synthetic, still glycol based but improved. found out that blue brake fluid is no longer available as new regulations prohibit selling. STUPID! Sure made it easy to know when the system was flushed alternating from amber to blue.

Getting bearings and seals made in either USA or Japan has been VERY time consuming.

Just now finishing up the rear end today, will be starting the front end and hope it goes smoother. I already have the bearings but still waiting on the front inner seals.

Rusty, I don't think we have the same front axles, I have a Westport front axle and has wet lubed bearings.

I was trying to get on the road this past weekend but that obviously will not happen, looks like Wednesday earliest now!

Will do a write up later.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rusty, I don't think we have the same front axles, I have a Westport front axle and has wet lubed bearings.

OK - I thought you also have a Dana 60.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rears are all done. Brake fluid pulled thru the system but not fully bled yet until after I finish the front.

Bearings for the front seem easier to find.

Rotors were badly checked on one surface only no bluing just lots of cracks, fairly normal for a single sided piston caliper system. As far as I can tell, the rears were original, I replaced front pads and rotors the first week I got the coach. They had 130K on them.

I replaced the pads on the rear at that same time, rotors were OK but I had that frozen caliper in Canada last summer, which chewed up the one rotor.

Hoses looked OK but 20 years old and 200K+ miles it is cheap insurance to replace!

I will post all part numbers and cost later.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater