Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    tag axle brakes
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

tag axle brakes
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Just a reminder. The tag axle on your gas Barth has its own master cylinder and must be filled separately from the main one. I have met a few folks who are unaware of this. Mine was low and had REALLY old fluid and rust in it.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had our '84 34T with a tag axle and a 454 about ten days. Our first trip is in a couple of weeks... Where the heck are the master cylinders? I definitly want to check them but they're not easy to find and I think the brake pedal feels "wooden".
Thanks,John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoops, it was late and I must be going senile, our Barth is a 1987, if that makes a difference.

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
There are two master cylinders. The one for the Chevy chassis is acessible through the left front wheel well. The master cylinder for the tag axle is underneath, a little to the right, back near the rear axles. I would suggest bleeding and replacing the fluid in both. Get underneath on a creeper and follow the lines from the tag axle brakes to the tee and to the cylinder.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Thanks a bunch for the info, I did find the main one up front and it's coming out for a new one today. I'll find the tag axle one now and check it out. Creepers don't work too well in our crushed rock drive that's why it's rough (literally) finding things under the Barth. We traded the city life and pavement for acreage in the Columbia Gorge and built GeoDome a couple of years ago....but, hmmm, maybe I should pour a nice slab for the Barth? Good idea, thanks.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
You might consider a sheet of thin plywood or cardboard.Keep it waxed so your coveralls will slide nicely. You will have more clearance than a creeper would give. I don't dare use a creeper in my sloping driveway unless I tie one ankle to something.

posted Hide Post
Good idea Billh! But, don't forget to wear your safety glasses and be sure to never tie the rope around your neck.
Ken

Posts: 20 | Location: Goodland, Fl ,USA | Member Since: 03-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post