Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing 454 Motor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing 454 Motor
 Login now/Join our community

<Larry>
posted
I have a 1988 Barth that was originally set up for hospital usage, Blood mobile ect. The motor needs to be replaced and two mechanics can't figure out how to make the switch without cutting the frame or wheelwell. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Larry

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
On my 1983 they took the engine out though the front by removing everthing that could be removed from the engine.

Charles

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Barth I just bought I asked how they go the engine out and the previous owner said that they removed the passenger side window and us some sort of an engine hoist. Don't know if that helps or not. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I think Bill H. dropped his out the bottom by un-bolting the frame supports.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
On mine the drilled out the rivets on the front, took off the front bumper. They had to jack up the front end and then went down and forward. They told me it wasn't too tough.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I dropped mine out the bottom. I did not have a choice, as my driveway is narrow and sloped. The big suspension crossmember is removed complete with the wheels removed. Six bolts on each side. Brake lines and steering. It was a one man job. It wasn't too hard, but I can't tell you how long it took, as I was recovering from shoulder surgery at the time, so I could only do a little at a time. Let me know if you would like my installation notes.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I dropped mine out the bottom. I did not have a choice, as my driveway is narrow and sloped. The big suspension crossmember is removed complete with the wheels still on. Six bolts on each side. Brake lines and steering. It was a one man job. It wasn't too hard, but I can't tell you how long it took, as I was recovering from shoulder surgery at the time, so I could only do a little at a time. Let me know if you would like my installation notes.

Posts: 7 | Member Since: 03-29-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Memo to Bill H. Please send you instalation instructions. ,Thanks, Roy Layton
quote:
Originally posted by roy layton:

posted Hide Post
Did you get the motor replaced? If so, at what cost range for the motor and for the labour, and how did they finally remove the motor from the coach?
Thanks
Tex

Posts: 2 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Member Since: 04-08-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the installation instructions. After dropping the oil pan to inspect the bearings, I decided to replace the main and rod bearinga since the material cost was only $100.00 My Barth has 32000 miles on it but has been parked for several years. It is in the process of being updated. Replacing the original A/C (cool only) with a Coleman heat pump from PPL in Houston, Tx. and replacing the Dometic 3800 cooling unit with a rebuilt unit from wick@rvcool.com in Decatur, Georgia for $450.00 plus $20.00 freight. Will install motion satellite system and plasma or LCD television soon. This should be another interesting experience.
quote:
Originally posted by roy layton:
Memo to Bill H. Please send you instalation instructions. ,Thanks, Roy Layton