Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    how do steps know when they are done?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

how do steps know when they are done?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of tigger
posted
I was feeling so proud today when I installed the new motor kit (NAPA) on my Kwikee step. Right up to the time when I had to retract. It only retracts about 6" as opposed to the old one which went about 12-16 ". Thinking that I had put the lever arm on wrong I disconnected it from the unit so that only the gears were being turned by the motor and got the same result. (scratches head). What tells it when to stop?
Tigger

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The newer Kwikee steps use an entirely different (electrically) system from the older ones. It's quite possible your controller isn't compatible.

If you're using a switch, it's hard to say. The old ones were a Ford window-lift mechanism.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigger
posted Hide Post
rusty - this IS a ford window motor - bought from NAPA. Haven't changed anything electrical. (except the motor wire of course.)Still using the 5713 controller which was working fine when all this started.

On the sign is written "DO NOT TOUCH THE BLOSSOMS". It goes unheeded by the wind, who cannot read.

Posts: 28 | Location: Pensacola | Member Since: 11-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Ford part number for my '87 van is E9UZ1523208B or E9UZ1523209B, for the whole regulator.

Anyway, the controller is supposed to sense the higher current when the motor stalls on hitting the step limits. Kwikee documents are here; you may find something helpful.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tigger
posted Hide Post
Rusty - The current sensing was what what I needed to know. Redid the link arm with the step attached BEFORE the gear box and it is now working well. Thank you.

BTW: would you consider moving to Pensacola and being my personal Barth fixer? (grins)

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it fixed!

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke