Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine Heater(s)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine Heater(s)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
1990 32' Regency DP

Original owner touted that there were "3 engine heaters" [in his written sale profile for the vehicle].

...I suppose I could call the past owner to ask this question, but I thought I would post it to the experts.

Does anyone know if there are 3 engine heaters [or any engine heaters] and how might they be activated???

Robin McCullough

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"...if there are 3 engine heaters [or any engine heaters] and how might they be activated???"
Possibly: 1) Engine coolant heater, with an electric element in a coolant passage in the block. 2) Engine oil heater - same type element immersed in the oil in the oil pan. It is pretty much standard practice for diesels to have at least one block heater for cold weather starts. Each will have an electric cord with male plug coming off the heaters. Mine run inside, under the bed where a duplex 120v outlet is installed for this purpose; when they're plugged in they are on.
OR: Dash heaters and hot water tank heater which have (hot) engine coolant routed through them. My 86 Regal had the hot water tank "engine heat option" and it kept the water hot while traveling with the propane turned off.
OR: A combination of any three of these. Good luck!

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited November 08, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Great information!

I think I've actually identified a couple of these items, but had no idea what I was looking at.

Should be easy to identify all 3.

...never too humble to learn in this classroom...

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Medic37

I have three (actually four)engine heaters in my coach. This is probably the same for you. These are not block heaters, rather heaters that heat the interior of the coach or the hot water tank. The fourth one is in the dash (standard in all vehicles), another one is to heat the hot water tank while traveling and an other is located near the front propane furnace and blows hot air into the water compartment and the last is located under the closet in the rear of the coach next to the propane heater. They all use engine coolant to heat either a heater core for hot air, or a coil in the hot water heater. There is no control on the hot water heater, I have a switch located above the driver side window to turn on/off the heater fan to the water compartment and a switch on the lower right console with off/high/low positions to operate the heater fan in the rear of the coach. These are for cold weather travel. I use mine a lot on the fall and spring. The hot water heater is welcome all year round as we always have hot water immediately when we arrive at our end of the day stop.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post