Barthmobile Portal
Belt changes

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/2101018061

06-08-2003, 12:33 PM
MC Barther
Belt changes
Issue: how to loosen belts for changing.
Engine: an �82 GM Diesel, but I suspect that the set up is the same for Gassers too.
Chassis: P30

Where is the belt tensioned for the belt that connects the water pump and AC? It�s the middle belt, between the belt for the alternator and the one for the power steering. I just must be missing which pulley or assembly rotates to ease tension for removal.

Any tips to make the job easier?
06-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Ed Chevalier
If your diesel has the same fan shroud as my gas model, it is stapled together on the passenger side. I found it easier to carefully remove the stapled with some needlenose pliers, and rotate the shroud to get it out. This makes it a lot easier to view the belts and pulleys. When you put the shroud back, just put some screws with wingnuts on it to make it easier the next time. I did the complete hose replacement & fan clutch while I had it apart. If you're just doing the belts, you may be able to tackle it from inside through the doghouse.
06-13-2003, 05:01 PM
bill h
FWIW-I had the engine cover up today, and on my 84 gasser the air conditioning compressor is what you move to adjust its belt. Mine is an ARA system.
06-21-2003, 11:48 PM
MC Barther
Thanks for the advice.

Due to time issues, I had to punt and take it to a friendly mechanic to finish the job.