Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    GPS - Disruption
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

GPS - Disruption
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted
Article about GPS disruption.

GPS Article

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd mark that as "pending"; the topic has been discussed on several geeksites in the past couple of weeks.

LightSquared's position is that the interference is due to lack of selectivity on the GPS receivers, then it states that the tests were conducted at higher power than the proposed network. Preliminary consensus is that LightSquared's dog don't hunt.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
As technology moves forward this type of problem is going to be more common. Because the government has a never ending desire for more of other peoples' money, they will find ways to get it. They "sell" frequencies ( or bandwidth) to companies for private use. This raises money for selling something they don't actually own. Ham radio operators have been fighting this battle for decades. The government has taken away bands and sold them for commercial use. Just another reason to love Washington DC.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The aviation guys are all cranked about this! The GPS is now the primary navigation system. The LS guys want to be licensed for satellite use on these freqs and intend to not just receive the sat info but be able to TRANSMIT on these bands from numerous land based locations. The power of these signals would essentially jam the weaker satellite signals and disrupt GPS receivers in the area.

LS says it's not their fault... the GPS units are at fault. Yet no known technology can "fix" the receivers.

several points:

LS will make money from this.
The gov will make money from this.
The amazing tax supported GPS system will be hobbled.
cell phones use GPS too.
The FCC (gov) is supposed to regulate the use of all bands for common good...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5184 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
The AOPA and several other pilot groups are asking
the FAA for a ban on the use of LightSquared.

Recent tests have shown that it can disrupt the GPS systems on aircraft.

Since all of the nations commercial airlines fly by GPS navigation system connected to the flight computer and auto pilot, the results would be disastrous to allow such interference.

Capt Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Do not want to steal the thread, but Doug are you a ham? My dad is AF4CW and visiting us. Or anyone else interested in antenna builing and ham radios?

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Marvin & Doris, I have been a Ham Radio Operator for 35 years. I don't get on as much as I used to, but I will be putting a rig in the Airstream. Right now that is somewhat low on the priority list though.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post