Barthmobile Portal
Refrigerator Woe's

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/2001008061

09-30-2002, 10:55 AM
Eric Herrle
Refrigerator Woe's
O-Kay everybody I'm looking for suggestions. I have a vintage (old) Norcold 3-way that works perfectly, or I should say used too. I loaned the rig out to a very good friend for the weekend because he had some extra guests and need some extra beds. I had left the fridge on and the vehicle wasn't parked level. It wasn't off that much so I didn't think much about it. When I opened the fridge when I it got back there was a very strong ammonia smell. There was no smell in the freezer and the whole unit was still working normally. I shut the unit down and cleaned the whole thing out restarted and went to Cape Cod for the weekend. The freezer work perfectly the fridge seemed a little warmer then usual and the ammonia smell came back. I have reviewed the exploded view of the fridge and can't see how one part can work (the freezer) normally and one won't (the fridge).

Any suggestions? I really don't feel like buying a new fridge this week.
10-01-2002, 12:45 AM
Ed Chevalier
It sounds like you have a leak. Ammonia in the system is at a very high pressure and contained in sealed steel lines. Eventually, you will get leaks from corrosion. It's usually time for a new fridge at that point, unless you can find a technician to pinpoint it and recharge. Good luck, Ed