Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Broken turn signal lever
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Broken turn signal lever
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Help, I need to replace the turn signal lever on my wonderful Barth, the inside plastic parts snap and crackle when I move it, and of course it does not work. Little ones pulled on it too hard, so, broken.
My question is, I can probably get the cover of the steering wheel off, but then what do I do? Where do I buy a new inner workings for the turn signal? How do I tell anyone what I need? Is there a model number somewhere?
Can I use the metel lever in new plastic parts? It has the cruise control on the end of the lever, with a wire that goes somewhere.
If this is something beyond simple skills (I have done lots of work on mechanical things and have one of every tool) do I take it to a garage to fix it? I would like to get this fixed before we take it out again, and I want to prove to my sweetie that I can take care of our wonderful motorhome by myself.
We enjoy our Barth so much, and look forward to another wonderful season of adventure, but I need to have turn signals...

Posts: 1 | Location: Tennessee | Member Since: 09-20-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
You have to tell us what chassis and year you have.

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

I mean this kindly...it helps to know what year, size, and chassis your coach is (Please put it in your signature). I looked it up on your profile, and assume you have a GM P30 chassis. Sadly, there are many, many versions of the turn signal stalk, along with changes during a model year (and changes from one design, to another, back to the original).

They are dealer items; the local dealer and I tried 3 before the 4th (kind of) worked. The one I bought had a different connector but the same functions, so I attached the old one. However, the connector wouldn't fit through an opening in the column, so I had to solder it at the steering column.

Best chance of getting a good replacement is to take the old one to the dealer. You may have to cut the wires to remove; these should be cut within a few inches of the connector.

On both this (Spartan with GM instrumentation) and my '88 Chev SOB, the stalk was just a snap fit into the combination switch.

However, from your description, it may be the combination switch. Replacing that necessitates removal of the steering wheel.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
On my 81 P30 The stem screwed into the switch, so the wheel had to come off. A standard wheel puller did the job. I then took the wheel puller to the local pick and pull and found a stem on a chevy van. The one that broke was tubular and the found one was solid, but the fit was the same. Can't help you with the cruise control question.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned that my turn signal lever also controls the windshield wipers and washer in addition to the cruise control. A rod also operates the Hi-Lo headlight beam relay located near the bottom of the steering column when the lever is pulled up.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post