Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    How about an automobile question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How about an automobile question
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
I am caring for my sons car while he is gone and it is a 1996 Chevy Blazer with a 4.2L V6 engine.

He has had a problem from almost the first day with this car. It will run beautifully on most days and then all of a sudden it will start missing a sputtering. He has spent about $1500 on this problem and it still exists. He has changer the fuel pump and filter, which required dropping the gas tank as I recall. All new plug wires, rotor, all that stuff. And still it does it. Now all the time but he says it seems to happen when it is wet or even a day before a rain storm. So he's thinking an humidity connects. Any ideas friends...

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would have thought first spark plug wires, or a cracked distributor cap, or a dying coil.

I ran across this once years ago (in a 350 Camaro, IIRC, and it was none of the above - there was a lot of moisture in the distributor cap. Dried it out and all was well.

But I'd suspect bad injector wires at this stage, or a bad or loose connection at the harness.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"all of a sudden it will start missing a sputtering"
Problem since the CAR was new or since how many miles/years?

Vacuum leak. A broken hose,probably where it females over a male teat. Something - bump, panic stop,..- moves it and it causes problems until it falls back into place.
Yeah, I know; but this is all I can come up with.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trade it in for a Barth! Wink

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My first thought was same as Rusty's.

A plug in code reader would be a good investment now. That vehicle has OBD II, so a good reader reads lots of parameters.

Has he or you sprayed the wiring down with silicone? That often helps. Best done to a warmed-up dry engine.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Bill, my first thought was the same as Rusty's, then I remembered having a car with a similiar problem, the fix, after tinkering for months, was replacing the cam shaft sensor.

Posts: 3 | Location: Chino, Ca | Member Since: 02-24-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post