Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    replacing converter
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

replacing converter
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted
I am trying to replace a Progressive Dynamics PD-710 with a Progressive Dynamics PD-9145A on my 1975 Barth. There are many wires coming from the 710 and only two places to put them on the 9145A a + and a -. Some of the wires coming from the 710 go through a fuse block and the 9145A doesn't have one. The man at the camper place said I could use the fuse block from the 710 but I still don't know how to run the wiring.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This may help (or not...).

The most likely snag you'll encounter relates to older (dual output) vs. newer (single output) converters.

The dual-output converter, when 120VAC is connected, powers the RV's 12VDC circuits from one output, and charges the battery from a separate circuit and output. When 120VAC is disconnected, a relay switches the 12VDC circuits over to the battery. The disadvantage of the dual-output (using the one in my old SOB as an example), the converter was rated at 60 amps. However, only 15 amps were available for battery charging.

When I replaced the old converter on my SOB, I had to put a jumper across the two old terminals - one to that battery, one to the 12VDC coach circuits.

That's because contemporary converters are single-output, meaning that they are connected only to the battery, and the battery always powers the coach's 12VDC.

This is a guess - you'll have to check it out on the 710, but I suspect all the wires from the 710 (except the ground) are 12VDC, and the bundle was just a convenience for the installer to have plenty of wires to power the various 12VDC circuits.

If you can take photos of the fuse block and the wires coming from the 710, that may help...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Pictures tomorrow and thanks Rusty.

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Never mind, I have called a mobile rv repairman and he will be here Friday to fix it. It is way over my head and too hard to explain over the internet.

Mary

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A wise choice - unless one know the way around wiring, it's easy to worsen the problem.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem was the wiring comes through the wall and I don't have any way of knowing where they originate. $60.00 service call and $60.00 an hour labor is cheap compared to a burnt Barth> Smiler

Mary