Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Regency Starting Batteries
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regency Starting Batteries
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/14
Picture of Jerry Jelsing
posted
I have a 1991 Regency, 3208 TA CAT. It used to have 2 of the large 8D batteries as the starting Batteries. The previous owner eliminated one of them and so this coach has only one. When asked, he told me "you only need one". It seems to start fine, everything seems good. My question is, there is usually a reason they came with two, and I am wondering if this causes a low amperage situation, or some other issue which will eventually be hard on the starter, or something else. Just trying to avoid a future problem. The House batteries are 2 6Volt deep cycles. All are around a year old. What do the Barth electrical people out there think?? Thanks for your input!

Posts: 88 | Location: Green Valley AZ | Member Since: 10-31-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
Had the same battery setup in my Breakaway with cat diesel....switched to one start battery 5 years ago and have never had an issue... even in our Canadian winters. Utilized the unused 8D battery space to add more 6V house batteries.

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beeoh:
Utilized the unused 8D battery space to add more 6V house batteries.
Absolutely agree with this. Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You could tell us the starter amp draw, the battery CCA and the cranking voltage, and we could kick numbers around, but (agreeing with Bill and Beeoh) it sounds like you are all right. If it lights off well on a cold morning, all is well.

My own guess would be that Barth included the extra battery as extra security if it didn't start right away, as in after a long winter's nap or something.

As a reference, many engines can fire off on a much smaller battery. My 502 will light off on only the battery (of unknown age) from a 750 motorcycle. My Krabby Kohler will not always.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerry Jelsing
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the way it is, sounds like it should not be a problem.I also like having the extra space in the engine compartment!

Posts: 88 | Location: Green Valley AZ | Member Since: 10-31-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I think most Regencies used 4 golf cart Trojan batteries for house power. That makes a big difference if you dry camp anywhere.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerry Jelsing
posted Hide Post
I have only two 6 volts at the moment. It originally had 2 12volt batteries. The 6 volt ones seem to work really well, I have 2 sets of solar panels to feed them also, which works well. I have thought about adding 2 more, but have not had the coach long enough to really determine if I need them.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Jelsing:
I have only two 6 volts at the moment.
The 6 volt ones seem to work really well, I have 2 sets of solar panels to feed them also, which works well.

Yeah, you're right at the rule of thumb for one panel per GC batt.

quote:
I have thought about adding 2 more, but have not had the coach long enough to really determine if I need them.

That, of course,depends on your usage.

As an example, we used the same pair of 6 volters for the first ten years of our Barth ownership. They worked quite well. We now have a set of four.

The advantages of four are:

1. They will run a large inverter and the microwave and toaster oven.

2. We can go longer between generator runs when the solar is shaded.

3. At a medium SOC, they take twice the amperage, so the generator run time is half.

4. The SOC needs to be monitored less, as it takes longer to get down.

5. For a gasser, they also serve as starting batteries. I don't know about diesels, but Trojan people have said privately that a pair is good for 550 cranking amps. Much has been opined about starting loads on deep cycle batteries, but in the real world, they start a load of fat golfers uphill, so get some start amp draw numbers on that and use that as a guideline. It might be easier to watch a voltmeter on startup and do a little math for real world minimum voltage on cranking. As far as real world amp draws on deep cycle batteries, a big inverter also does a big draw, but probably not as much as a couple of golfers uphill.

All this armchair engineering makes me wanna take my DVM and some long leads, a heavy friend and go golfing.

My own philosophy is to put as many 6 volters as you can in the battery bay and let them serve as starting batteries (as long as they stay within the aforementioned golf cart envelope).

Some will say, "but what if you run your batteries down while parked?"

1. Barth owners are experienced and intelligent enough never to do that.

2. Low battery alarms and disconnects are available or can be made.

3. The toad battery can be used to jump the generator which will make engine starting easy.

3A. Without a toad, a small yard tractor battery will start most gensets.

I have seen Regencies with L16 batteries. They are a little more expensive per amp hour, but having the same footprint as the GC batteries, they offer more capacity and longer life in the same space without the disadvantages of paralleling.

And, the ultimate is a set of 2 volt cells. Expensive, but last thousands of very deep cycles.

The best time to add two more 6 volters is in the first year or when you replace the first pair. Any other time will work, but will not be optimum.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerry Jelsing
posted Hide Post
I have tried starting the cat diesel with the existing house 2 6 volt batteries, and it fires right up. I still like the idea of having 2 more 6 volts for a total of 4 for house batteries. One thing that is different about our setup is that the previous owner replaced the inverter with a converter. Not sure if I am happy with that.

posted Hide Post
Those are completely different functions. The converter produces dc voltage while you are plugged into shore power and that charges your batteries. The inverter produces ac power from your house batteries to run small ac appliances. I think you have to have a converter but you may not need the inverter. Many Barth's have both.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I replaced my old vanner converter with a prosine inverter that takes power from the house batteries and converts it to ac power, and when plugged in to shore power can charge my house batteries if i want. I changed my starting batteries from 2 8Ds to 2 group 31 batteries. No problem firing off my Detroit Diesel 8V71. If it is 40 degrees or less out i do turn on my block heater for a couple of hours just to warm up that ton of iron some so that i don't make smoke when i fire it off. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/10
Picture of Reado
posted Hide Post
Shadow Man...could I ask what model of inverter you used in your converter replacement? I am facing the same decision in the "reconditioning " of my 19' chevy 350 Barth. Any comment on converter vs converter would be appreciated. It seems that replacing 12 volt house batteries with 6 volt golf cart batteries is a popular move. Why is that? I'm facing that decision also. Thanks

Posts: 60 | Location: Agassiz, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-19-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Trojan Golf Cart 6v batteries provide 225 ah of power until discharged, that is a reduction in voltage to 80% of rated (.8*6=4.2v). A pair will provide 450 ah which is the draw in amps times the hours the load is connected. That means if you run 10 amps of 12v power for your coach you can expect about 40 hours of life. The common 12v car battery has maybe 60ah since they are designed for cranking amps and some deep cycle will show about 75 or 80 ah. Two will provide about 1/4th of the useful charge of a pair of Trojans.With four Trojans you are at 800 ah, which means more power longer and greater reliability. Based on prices of about $160 for Trojans and $250 for deep cycle 12v you will spend about the same money and at least in my experience the Trojans will outlast the 12v by several years.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
The Trojan Golf Cart 6v batteries provide 225 ah of power until discharged, that is a reduction in voltage to 80% of rated (.8*6=4.2v). A pair will provide 450 ah

A pair in series will provide the same 225 AH, but at 12 volts.

quote:
With four Trojans you are at 800 ah

same thing.

quote:
which means more power longer and greater reliability. Based on prices of about $160 for Trojans and $250 for deep cycle 12v you will spend about the same money and at least in my experience the Trojans will outlast the 12v by several years.

My last pair of T-125s were still going strong at 10 years. I hope the bank of four T-105s that replaced them do as well. I have heard rumblings from solar people that Trojan isn't what it used to be. There are two different cases for T-105s being used. That could indicate either different facilities using different molds or outsourcing. Frowner

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Can't really tell you too much on the converter and inverter topic. My Vanner died of old age and my stepson's neighbor worked at a solar shop in Bend Oregon. He recommended the ProSine 2000. I also got 2 more solar panels and he did all of the install and rewiring that was necessary. He was able to get me a deal on the panels and the inverter and did the install at his place after work at 1/2 the shop labor rate. It has all worked fine for 6 years now. It is smarter than me, i am electically challenged. Big Grin Looks like the other guys have covered the 6v vs. the 12v for you.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post