Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    gas springs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gas springs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
The lowest price that I have found for gas springs to replace all those overhead door openers is at:

http://www.internationalgassprings.com/

They will respond to email for a quote. typicall around $9.00 each

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lead on gas springs. I contacted International Gas Springs (815) 553-0253 and talked to a helpful fellow by the name of Brant. I described the 10" (extended) gas spring used on our Barth overhead interior cabinets. He sent me a trial spring; it will work perfectly with the simple drilling of holes to replace the studs on the brackets. The price was $12.22 but will be less when I order the rest of the 16 that I need. Give Brant a call and I am sure he will help you.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Since most or all of us have these gas springs, could you get more specific about what to order and exactly what drilling is necessary. My price for the springs (OEM) at NAPA is $21.00 each, so $10 to $12 dollars each is a great price.

------------------
Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins

Gillig Chassis

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited February 10, 2004).]

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The spring is 7" closed and 10" extended with a 20 pound force (more force is available). The OEM spring has drilled tabs on each end which are designed to fit over studs on the cabinet mounted hardware. The spring from International
Gas Springs has a threaded stud and a right angle ball joint on each end. You have to remove the bracket from the cabinet, drill out the existing stud, insert the new stud and tighten it in place with the included nut before replacing the brackets back onto the cabinet. A bit of work but it sure beats holding the lid up with your head while you reteive your underware.

The website is www.internationalgassprings.com

(I wish I knew how to make the address active on this post like the rest of you guys do???)

The part number is 66U076214BB0089.
International Gas Springs Inc.
950 Brian Drive Unit A
Crest Hill, IL 60435

(815) 553-0253
Deal with Brant and refer him to my name, Gary Miller, Customer #121. He has the Barth info. that I gave him.

I was going to install the sample spring today but the snow was up to my belt buckle and I didn't make it to the Barth. I'll give it another try tomorrow. I suggest you wait and I will report back with my success...failure is not an option.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sun is shining on the 4'deep snow field separating the house from the Barth but none-the-less I made it out with not a little effort. But the results were worth the effort. THE REPLACEMENT GAS SPRING WORKS PERFECTLY. I even found that the studs on the cabinet brackets have a boss on the back which is easily ground off with a bench grinder, then the stud can be easily punched out leaving a hole JUST THE RIGHT SIZE for the ball stud that comes with the new spring. Give me 10 minutes (not including the snow field) per spring and I will give you 2 minutes back...it's that easy.

posted Hide Post
I just ordered an additional 15 springs from International. My price was $9.27 per spring --- not bad!!! And on open account too.

Brant (International Gas Springs) passed along two suggestions to increase spring life:
1) Mount spring with body up, piston arm down. There is oil in the cylinder and mounted this way the oil keeps the seal moist.
2) Inoperation is hard on the spring seal. Storage over the winter is probably not too harmful but longer term storage would. That perhaps is why so many of us have suffered spring failure. As expensive as these puppys are, I think I will cycle the doors even over the winter months.

International Gas Spring has a toll free number: 1-800-214-7034. Be sure toi mention BARTH.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I think my gas springs already have a ball connection. If I remember correctly, the old ones just snapped off and the new ones snapped on. Is there a picture of the specific spring on the website, or could you post a picture?

Bill Goodwin

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Go to the International Gas Spring website (see address on one of the posts above) and then click on "Standard Stock Spring". The drawing that comes up clearly shows the ball-post end detail. The ball-post ends are threaded on to the piston and body and are easily removable (but why) and the ball has a clip retainer but I did not take mine apart. The post on the ball is threaded and comes with a nut (metric). HTH

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454