Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Remove dash air now? (or not)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Remove dash air now? (or not)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I guess you know you have to have something in the dash or you will not have a defroster. You can rip out the compressor and ac hoses but you need the heater assembly and the dash vacuum to direct air to the windshield.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I think it would be best if I did not remove the dash air. It is not causing any problems. We thought with everything out of the way(i've removed all the carpet because i'm replacing it)it would be a great time to do it. I haven't measured fluid temperature so I have no idea about how hot things get.

Thanks for all your input.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I think it would be best if I did not remove the dash air.

My only reason for removing dash air was to prevent overheating. However, my situation is more extreme than most. The 502 is a Siamese block, which is prone to overheating, and the 502 puts great stress on the torque converter, which becomes heat. Add to that a 2 1/2 ton 4WD or boat behind in CA and AZ summer heat, and I end up very concerned re overheating.

quote:
I haven't measured fluid temperature so I have no idea about how hot things get.

I would recommend a trans temp gauge for all MH oowners. It will either give you warning of the need for a cooler or it will give you peace of mind. Either can be valuable.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!"

Leave it alone.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
That phrase has saved me a lot of hassle since I heard you say it a year or so ago. I'm passing it on to whoever will listen.
Thanks,
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I give a resounding second to El Segundo Bill on the matter of trans. temp gauges.

Years ago I had a FWD GMC. One Spring, on the way home from our winter home in Indio, we were heading West over Pacheco Pass. Near the summit the RPM increased, but we slowed down. The rear view mirror showed a thick white cloud following us. We had just made the summit when forward progress stopped. I shut down, & we bailed out to sizzling noises & the stink of hot oil.

When the sizzling stopped, & no flames appeared, I started the engine, & shifted into gear, but the rig wouldn't move. We had barely passed the summit, & the rig would roll so we coasted down with the engine running for brakes & steering. I don't know how far we coasted, but it seemed forever until I found a place with a phone. I called Good Sam (I had subscribed to their road service just before we left Indio) they towed me at no charge to a Cad dealer in Gilroy, but he had a long waiting list for tranny work. I paid for a tow to an independent shop, & three days later, 1400 bucks poorer, we were on the way home.

Moral of the story? For less than $100 I could have installed a temp. gauge. I religiously eyeball my gauges, & that would have alerted me in time to prevent the disaster.

Yeah, get yourself a trans. temp. gauge if you don't already have one, & watch it religiously. Been there, done that.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post