Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1988 REGENCY, ACCELERATOR CABLE
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1988 REGENCY, ACCELERATOR CABLE
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/21
posted
Needling accelerator for Spartan Chassis 8.3 Cummins diesel. Spartan said they have parts but haven't gotten back to us. Repair facility is having zero luck finding one.

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Perhaps another similarity exists. Throttle and shift cables for boats will have a number stamped or otherwise marked on one end of the sheath. The number corresponds to the length in inches. I believe this is standard across all manufacturers.
Hope this helps, if you find such number a search for throttle cable should provide you with links to suppliers. I find premium levels when offered reward with premium lifetime thus reduced future swearing at an older, less agile time.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My cable was sticking a while back. It needed lubrication and I found one area where the cable was bent more than necessary. I was able to free it up somewhat but like you I had no luck finding a part number. It seems as the years go by our Spartan chassis are being gradually phased out of the Spartan system.

Years ago, you could call and find someone who knew our old coach chassis. Usually find a part number. Then it was, "Oh, we'll have to look that up on microfiche," then "they moved the fiche to another building," yada, yada, yada. Never called back.

When I got my Monarch, I called and asked for any chassis info. They sent me pdfs of axles. Front one was correct Eaton axle, rear one they sent was for Dana axle with disc brakes. sorry guys, it is an Eaton axle with drum brakes.
So much for factory service and VIN #... head bang

I called about a part number for my fan motor. They gave me a Parker-Hannifin number that even Parker-Hannifin did not know of...

I have not bought any parts from Spartan. (Remember, they don't make engines, transmissions, axles or brakes, they just assemble them.) Cummins, Allison, Eaton, Dana, Bendix numbers are usually easier to find and much cheaper than the marked up ones Spartan sells.

It would be great to find who made our OEM cables. Meanwhile, as Tim suggests, marine sources are likely the best. There are so many variations it is mind boggling. Diameter, overall length, sheath length/length of travel, type of ends (pins, eyes, clevis, threaded, etc) and sheath ends (butt end, threaded, retainer clips....) will need to be matched.

If you are lucky you may be able to find a truck or marine repair shop that still assembles their own cables.

Let us know what you can find. Good luck. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5185 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thought guys! I'll ask if there is a part number on the sheath. Again, thanks a bunch.

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check out McMaster Carr under Bowden Cable. You select the fittings and the length for your application. You can go to any rigging shop for boats and they can make it up. If you are constrained by bends you can add a clevis or bell crank to change directions.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information! I forwarded the information to Central Alignment in Knoxville. They found tie rods finally and have sent pictures of cable to Spartan. They have replaced on front the drums, shoes, air bags, king pins, wheel cylinders, bearings, tie rods, shocks and aligning the coach. Bill is over $7700 right now. Thinking of paying some of it now and rest when ready. Also trying to find accelerator cable, which been nightmare. Hope not overpaying, that's more than i paid for coach so far! Thanks for all the help!

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My first service bills were scary as well. Given that these coaches are over 25 years old, even if some of the components don't wear out they can fail.

I had all tires, brakes replaced, wheel seals, suspension air bags, exhaust manifold and starter replaced right away. Later, shocks, tie rods, radiator and fan motor. Not cheap but money well spent. I have over 40,000 miles on it now and no problems.

I compare it to buying a 20 year old house. Probably needs a roof, paint work, AC, furnace, refrigerator and water heater. Once done, you're good for a long while. (Difference is, you're not stranded somewhere if your home stuff fails!)

Good luck with your coach. I have been quite happy with mine.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5185 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your words of encouragement Steve. I figure it's money well spent for peace of mind.