Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    81 Euro - Battery Discharge - Rookies need help
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

81 Euro - Battery Discharge - Rookies need help
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
Picture of Creek2012
posted
When we connected up to electric today, lights are running off the battery (they started out bright but started get dim), but AC is running off the electric. What'd we do wrong?
Thanks!

Posts: 12 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Make sure the converter is plugged in to 120 VAC and functioning.

On some coaches, a main 12 VDC disconnect switch (usually near the door) shuts off power to/from the battery EXCEPT lighting - check for that - the lights will work, but the battery won't charge.

Unless it's been updated, you have a dual-output converter; when plugged in to shore power, one output is to the house 12 VDC circuits, the other charges the battery. When shore power is disconnected, a relay transfers the house 12 VDC circuits to battery power.

Contemporary converters are single-output, connecting only to the battery, which powers the house 12 VDC all the time.

And I'm moving this to Tech Talk. Also changed header to show specific issue.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creek2012
posted Hide Post
We have looked every where for a switch; there isn't one. The converter is humming; ac works. There is an on/off switch inside the "hood". We were told to make sure it's in the off position when we are not driving it. Once I turned it on the interior lights work! Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 12 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Glad you found what works. Every Barth seems to have a mystery switch; my prior owner labelled all of them - except one. So I called him, and he admitted it was connected to nothing! Razzer

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creek2012
posted Hide Post
Well we still have the same problem! The previous owner just informed us that if we leave the Perko switch on....when we go to start the motor coach we'd have to jump start it. Don't know what else we can do at this point. We have looked all over for a second battery/another switch and there aren't any. If you have any other ideas please send them our way...lol! Thanks for all your help!

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The PO's warnings about the switch may be due to his not understanding the wiring. If you have a voltmeter, you can partially trace the system.

Of course the best solution would be to attend a Barth GTG, where there's always a collection of gurus. Unfortunately, the Goshen/Milford one is over - and after that I was in Lodi for a week.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If you are going to be home tommorow night, I can stop by and take a look.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creek2012
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doorman, but we've got plans for tomorrow night. Any other night this week would be fine though!

Picture of Creek2012
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty!! We didn't have enough time to make the trip to Milford this year, but next year we should be good to go! I'll have Don check with a voltmeter. Thanks once again! Rhonda

Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I will try to stop over Tuesday after work if I don't get stuck out too late. Give me a call if you want. 77six-four22three. Any time before 11pm.

Doorman

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creek2012
posted Hide Post
The mystery of the batteries has been resolved!! We found them under the step going into the coach. They have been charged and we are good to go!!! Thanks everyone for all the advice. Rhonda

Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Just an update on Don and Rhonda's 12 v issues. Don found coach batteries were dry, refilled and charged.(not looking good on recharging). Perko switch was installed to disconnect chasie battery.

We found the chassie battery connected directly to coach batteries. (The reason the P.O. told them to turn the Perko switch off or they would have to jump to start.) Relocated cable from + coach bat. terminal to aux start relay. Checked isolator for proper operation.

Charger/converter not charging batteries and dim lights was a result of 50A fuse from converter being open. (looked good)

On thier dash is 4 square switches. 1 marked Aux Start. The other 3 not labled. Anyone know what the others are for. Dash fans have thier own switches.

Rhonda and Don bought a very clean and well kept Euro. I am impressed on how rust free and how well the paint on this coach looks. Looks like a 4-5 year old coach, not 31.