Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Heavy Duty Battery Cable Source
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Heavy Duty Battery Cable Source
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted
Hi everyone,

I've been spending some quality time cleaning up our battery compartment and connections and need to replace a monster positive to positive stud mount terminal cable for the chassis starting batteries. Can anyone point me to a source in a previous post or does anyone have a source or recommendation? I haven't been able to find anything similar at the truck dealers or NAPA.

The negative cables are the same size and configuration but in great shape. The parts guys I talked with young and old haven't been much help.

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
A welding supply house can usually make up a cable any length you need.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It is just a battery cable. Go to any truck garage and bring the cable with you. They'll swedge 2 ends on whatever size cable that is.

Looks like it could be anything from 2/0 - 3/0 - 4/0 cable with two 3/8 terminal ends. Can you tell me how thick the copper is? how long is the cable?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
A local welding supply should be able to make a cable as large as 4/0. You may need some brass washers from another source as the standard for welding lugs is fairly large inside diameter and they won't have smaller sizes. They will have top quality finely stranded cable for low voltage DC
loads and the proper equipment to swage the lugs on. Take the old cable with you. Alternate lug types are available here.....quick, reliable, fast shipping http://www.solarseller.com/

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonka:
Hi everyone,

I've been spending some quality time cleaning up our battery compartment and connections and need to replace a monster positive to positive stud mount terminal cable for the chassis starting batteries. Can anyone point me to a source in a previous post or does anyone have a source or recommendation? The parts guys I talked with young and old haven't been much help.

Thanks,
Wally

It is likely that all you need is new terminals at the battery end. You can get new terminals at boat or truck or welding places and solder or crimp them yourself or have it done.

The primary consideration here is, "Is there enough extra length in your cable to cut off the old terminal and install a new one?" You might gain a little length with some judicious rerouting.

A secondary consideration is, "Has any corrosion traveled up the cable from the terminal end?" You gotta keep cutting until all corrosion is gone. This could make the cable too short. In that case, it is better to buy new than take a chance.

Be sure not to use to use a hole any bigger than you need, to assure good contact.

If you go this way, be sure to seal the point where the insulation joins the terminal to keep acid out. Liquid Electrical Tape is good. The self-sealing shrink tubing has not been good for me. I use Shoe Goo, let it set up a little, then use regular, color-coded heat shrink tubing over it.

This is nit-picking, but I like copper washers, because of their better electrical properties and similar hardness to the copper terminals. I make my own with a hole saw out of split and flattened-out copper tubing.
Also, torque your terminals properly. Your terminals appear to have oversize or drilled-out holes and look like victims of excessive torque. Trojan has torque specs on their site that should apply to your brand of battery and type of terminal.

Then keep a coating of Vaseline on the terminals. Put it on after they are installed. You don't want any inside the connection. I don't like sprays, as they can get inside connections and give you trouble.

You also need to check how much acid is coming up out of the battery and why. What is your charging voltage when driving? What is your voltage when plugged in? What is your voltage when stored (if any)? What is your water consumption?

Keeping the batteries really full will increase the boiling out. Keeping them at the minimum will minimize boiling out. So will mineral oil, which can be studied on other posts here.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I have used this company before and am planning to use again shortly for my new inverter install.

Custom Battery Cables

I was very happy with their work. I got welding cable.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I found a 15 inch Philips 2/0 at CATCO near work that should work until I can get new terminals swedged on the existing cable.

I finished up in the battery compartment and almost everything seems back to normal. Replaced both the starting (NAPA) and deep cycle house(Interstate)batteries, cleaned all the connections, cleaned primed and painted the shelf and frames and reriveted the trays.

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post