Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Intermittent Starting Problems
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Intermittent Starting Problems
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
That is it and the price sounds right to what I paid.
Others can speak more "mechanically correct" than I can, but the way I see this solenoid operating is that when you turn your key switch to the "on" position, it closes and provides power to the bus bars in the electrical compartment. Many 12VDC items work off those bus bars, including your starting circuit. First indicator I had problems was I had NO red warning/"idiot" lights on the dash panel as I would normally have when turning the key on. My first attempt to fix this problem was replace the key switch. That did not work. I would not be able to start the coach until I got those lights to come on. I would sit there and turn the key off and on multiple times until finally those lights would come on. And then I could turn the key to the start position and the coach would fire right up. But beware! If this is what is happening to you, then replace that solenoid! Because one day you will be going down the road and that solenoid will drop out and your coach will go dead. I was lucky enough to be able to start it while still rolling down the road. Once I got home, I went searching for the problem again and found information on this site about this solenoid. I replaced it and everything worked fine again. About a 1-1/2 years later I had the same problem again. Those solenoids don't seem to hold up well. I replaced it again and put a spare one in the Barth. And now I also carry a spare in Barth II, just in case. Some of the problem may be that things get added to the coach and the load on those solenoids gets to be more than they were originally designed for, therefore wearing out the solenoid faster than normal. I tried to find a replacement with more current carrying capacity, but to no avail.
My experiences with these type of solenoids goes back to my earlier years and my Fords. I should have remembered those trials and tribulations, as I used to carry a spare solenoid with me back then because those would go bad on a regular basis. And it always seemed to go bad when I needed the car the most...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
I did install a new solenoid as advised today and engine did start, and more surprisingly no extra parts! Obviously with an intermittent problem, I can not be certain this is fix but time will tell.

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently struggling with this same concern and have tracked it to the allison transmission controller. The wire that kicks the starter goes in and out of the relay box.

Posts: 2 | Location: tennessee | Member Since: 03-28-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem solved with the placement of a jumper between the two previously mentioned wires.....Only time will tell. Big Grin

Posts: 2 | Location: tennessee | Member Since: 03-28-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Crawl under the coach and look at the starter solenoid. There is one 12v wire from the ignition to the starter solenoid. That 12ga wire will develop corrosion in the crimp connector that is the ring terminal to the solenoid. You can use a vampire crimp connector to add another 12ga wire from just about anywhere along the wire that is above or in front of the exposed portion of the wire to the terminal on the solenoid. Chances are that will fix the problem. It did on mine.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
With one person holding the key in the start position, get under there quickly with a volt meter and check for battery voltage on the "S" terminal of the solenoid. If B+ is present, check for B+ at the large terminal on the lower part of the solenoid sending B+ into the starter motor. If you have B+ at both locations then you have an open inside the motor, perhaps an open commutator bar. The starter has to stop on the faulty bar to fail. If you DO NOT have B+ at the large terminal then the contacts within the starter solenoid have carboned up creating excessive resistance. In either case, whack the starter with a hammer, if the engine cranks up, you can get to your next destination. You can purchase a replacement solenoid if needed. I do not believe in changing parts without proving that they have failed. Good Luck!

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.