Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    LED taillight conversion.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED taillight conversion.
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
OK! I know somehow I missed up trying to put in the photos.
Anyway I removed the complete taillight assembly from my 1985 Barth leaving a 3" 7/8th x 12" 7/8th hole. The removed org. unit was 5" 3/4th x 14" 3/4th.
A local hospital threw out some anodized aluminum shelves which I quickly recycled for my use. The shelves were 6" wide with a very small lip on each side. I cut them to 16" long and cut two openings in them for the LED lights I bought.
I purchased a 4 pack of Peterson Piranha 4" round flange mount lights for $69.95 from - buytruckstuff.com.
The org. taillight had 5 mounting holes on each side of it. I reduced that to 3 mounting holes on each side using s/s bolts. I then used s/s screws to mount the flange mount light to the back plate I made. With the back plate bolted to the body I did use a file to remove a little of the body so the lights would fit.
I took the ground wire from the wiring harness and the ground wire from each taillight and attached that to the frame. I did have to purchase the mail pigtails from NAPA to attach to the wiring harness.
The lights flash very fast and are very, very bright.
The org. assembly had a backup light between the taillight ,I left this area blank but may do something there later. The big backup lights overpowered those little backup light anyway.
I cannot begin to tell you the difference in brightness this has made for the taillight ,brake lights and signal lights.
Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
So, are you willing to sell me your old lights?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Very cool Jim!

I can't wait to make the conversion to LED myself and am also considering using aluminum stock to manufacture the bezels.

I'm going to try to get creative and go with a red and amber combination, as I've always felt there is too much RED showing from the back of a vehicle for the average "cell phone talking", "clearly distracted" driver these days.

...will probably add a center high mounted stop lamp as well and will definitly go with something much brighter for the reverse lamps.

I will also change-over everything else on the vehicle that I can find replacements for [in LED], except for the traditional, retro clearance lights [x12] on the roof ...I still like those and don't want to mess with anything on the roof, as to possibly compromise the water-tight integrity.

Bill N.Y. ...I'm not certain when I will get to this project [maybe yet this year], but if you are still in the market, you can HAVE my original tail-lights and the bezel assemblies which lay below.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Bill, I don't think you would want the right bezel. "Charley" cracked it and on the upper right hand corner broke off a piece of it. Not in very good shape. I'll check the left one when I get back from my trip. I think it is in good shape. You can have it for shipping cost. I'll check the lenses on the right one too.

Robin, I was going to use one pair in amber, however that would mean you also had an amber taillight(may be against the law in some states)unless you just used a single function light.
The four pack comes as one color and a special price.
In the space between the taillights I was thinking of placing a rectangular amber clearence light there to come on with the turn sig. or 4 ways as an additional- WAKE UP PERSON BEHIND ME- light. Also thinking of placing a rectangular 55w/100w halogen back up light here. Many ways to work this out and I may even change it again.
To anyone thinking of updating the taillights- the LED's are the way to go.
The pictures don't do the lights-on justice. I can't begin to tell you how quick and how bright these lights are.
Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I am posting to an old thread because it is the most relevant I could find. I have just installed four 1157-R12-DI LED lamps in my existing tail lamp housings. These are only $4.99 ea right now from SuperBrightLEDs.com. had some concern about light output being adequate with only 12 cells each, rather than a larger array and/or high power (1 or 2 watt).
I am very pleased with the result. My stock lenses are stacked vertically. Of course, they had turned purple, except too close to being clear in the very center. I washed the inside radial lens facets with soapy water and a brush. The way the narrow-beam 1157 R12's shine red through the almost-clear center of the lens and also illuminate the radial facets around the center is good -- like having entirely new tail lamps for under $25 with postage.
I have also ordered several 67-x15: 15-LED BA15S bulbs to put in overheads. got tired of waiting for white ones to be back in stock. So, I ordered amber. Judging from one 68-x9: 9-LED BAY15D amber bulb I tried, the light output will be relatively few lumens compared to the OEM #1003's. In as much as the current draw from a 9 LED array is negligible, I figure I can leave six on for less current draw than a single 1003. also hoping that amber ones will not attract bugs. plan to leave one bright incandescent above copilot seat and one above dinette table, for brief occasional use. To get bright LED's slender enough for the overhead fixture cones would be like $15+ ea..
I'd sooner spend that much on these for the port and starboard patio lamps:
1156-W2W-ARA: Adjustable 2 Watt Right Angle BA15S bulb
2 Watt LED 12VDC aimable replacement bulb for right angle applications
15mm 1156 Single Intensity Bayonet Base available in Cool White
140 Degree Viewing angle LED aimed 90 degrees from the adjustable base
Select LED color to match vehicle lens color
Price for each.
Select Options Part#: 1156-W2W-ARA
Color:
$ 14.95

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post